Boutique Prices

Forum for boutique synths
Dark_Element

Boutique Prices

Post by Dark_Element »

Just curious what people are thinking about where Boutique prices are doing.

A little surprising some of what's happening...... just my observations and opinions:

The original "Limited Editions"

JX-03 - Going rate $230-$260 Seems to be the most "sane" of the bunch. Prices and availability are steady. Slow steady climb in value. In the long run, I think eventually this one will be the best (original) as most people think this is the weakest of the original three and didn't get one. Roland keeps pushing the other two into more products than anything else they do. This one flew under the radar.

JU-06 - Going rate $250-$280 What was the most "Valuable", the prices have crashed to something reasonable as the JU-06a exceeds it in capability. Personally I think that the "6A" was Roland taking money left on the table. Too few units, and too short a production run. Feel sorry for the peeps who bought them at $500+ only for Roland to swat them down to sub-$300. Still, I wouldn't mind having a second one over getting a "6a" if the price is right.

JP-08 - Going rate $500+ OMG, this one is out of control. It's making the JU-06 look cheap at it's high. Complete madness, and it drives me crazy that second-hand units normally don't even have the box. How can these be worth so much when everything even remotely "new" has some form of Jupiter 8 in it already? Novelty? If it gets too bad, Roland will come calling like they did with JU-06, but what could they offer extra without going above 4 voice? Very cool unit, but also limited in that people will always want a real Jupiter 8 or MKS-80 with programmer and not a recreation. This model is pretty much exclusive in that area. Still.... of the original three, this is the most powerful of the bunch.

[Second Hand Pricing on non-1st run Boutiques]

TR-09 Going Rate $330 - $350 The Boutique drum machine most people bought if the "08" was sold out. Rarer and will be rarer than the 08 (IMO).

TR-08 Going Rate $300 - $330 The Boutique drum machine everyone wanted right out of the box. Super popular, but not rare due to everyone getting one. I think prices will drop below $300.

TB-03 Going Rate $300 - $330 The bass line Boutique has held strong since it's release. Doesn't seem like it's even really dipped below $300. I prefer Aria for these sounds, but it is a very nice unit. I think it'll be totally stable for a long period, maybe even climb later.

JU-06A Going rate $340-$380 Still in production and probably will be for a long time. Second hand will be held up by being more capable than the regular 06. Whatever the 06 is going for, this will be above that, but the supply of regular 06's will help make sure these never go above their original price. I think they level out at $300-$330.

D-05 Going Rate $500+ Another out of control model. This one makes more sense (IMO) as the D50 hasn't been recreated better than here. The ability to use the original programmer is amazing. Of all the boutiques, maybe the best collector unit of them all.

VP-03 - Going Rate $230-$275 The least valuable of all the boutiques. With more powerful Aria units that do more for less money I don't see them going anywhere (but I want one).

A-01 - Going Rate $225 - $275 Early on one of the most valuable, has slipped by a large amount as it's not as useful, the boxes mostly don't exist, and demand has moved on. I'd like one for chip tunes though.

SH-01A - Going rate $275-$350 Since this one is still in production(Grey) with only the Blue and Red variants sold out, who knows what will happen. I think these will get more expensive as time goes on but not reach JP-08 or D-05 levels. Roland was very smart giving it four voices. Will there be a premium on Blue's and Red's? I don't know.

SE-02 - Going rate $280-$330 Still in production, the formerly most expensive boutique has fallen to a normal asking price of $300. Fantastic synth, and for people like me who want to create a 6-voice, hopefully it'll come down some more. I think most people get turned off by a mono, so the novelty is wearing off and supply is increasing.

Boxes:

I still maintain that the boxes are one of the most important and valuable parts of the boutiques. This doesn't seem to have caught on yet, but I know it will. I horde my boxes and keep them in amazing shape. I think in the future the boxes will command a third of the price. Maybe loose units could be sold as a "chain" package, but I won't buy anything without a box if I don't already have one with the box and need a chain unit.

What do you think?
All instruments are going up right now. Boutiques are just riding the wave? Or are they actually appreciating for real?

-DE
anotherscott

Re: Boutique Prices

Post by anotherscott »

Dark_Element wrote:JX-03... think eventually this one will be the best (original) as most people think this is the weakest of the original three and didn't get one.
What I liked about this one is that, of the original three, it was the only one that was knob-based. When the controls are that small, I find knobs easier to control than sliders.
Dark_Element wrote:JP-08...How can these be worth so much when everything even remotely "new" has some form of Jupiter 8 in it already?
If you want JP-08 emulation with direct panel control, the least expensive alternative is the System 8, which is a big jump up in price, making the JP-08 arguably still a bargain by comparison.
iixorb

Re: Boutique Prices

Post by iixorb »

Nice round up from the OP.

I have two JP-08s, two JU-06s (wish I’d sold them a year ago!), a JX-03 (amazing and the best of the originals, although seriously lacking in user patch slots), the TRs, TB and SH01a. I prefer the TR-08 to the Behringer RD-8, although I prefer the Behringer TD-3 to the Boutique TB-03.

I didn’t bother with the D-05 as I already own three D-50s although I wish I’d got one if the prices are climbing!
Andertons compared one of my D-50s with a D-05 on YouTube.

First thing I did was carefully wrap up the boxes. I also kept the original batteries unopened too, but I’m storing them away from the boxes in case they leak.

Can’t believe it’ll soon be 5 years since I got the first 3 !