Roland JX-08 & JD-08 Preset Export BIG Problem

Forum for boutique synths
Nick Chronos

Roland JX-08 & JD-08 Preset Export BIG Problem

Post by Nick Chronos »

Greetings,Folks!

We are making custom presets for all kind of synthesizers & our team called www.lfo.store

Suddenly we bought two new Boutiques & started make custom patches.
Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QqYxyXygkM

And than we found that it impossible to save individual patches or patch groups like A (50 presets) B (50 presets) C & D
And you cant save them via sysex which is very sad.

So we asking Roland to make an option of saving individual patches Or groups of patches cause without this option new JX & JD are not complete in questions of custom sound design.

Thanks
Nick
AndrewHenderson

Re: Roland JX-08 & JD-08 Preset Export BIG Problem

Post by AndrewHenderson »

Unfortunately, yes. This was also mentioned on the Gearspace forum. Definitely is not user friendly and could definitely be improved.
Rends

Post by Rends »

+1
Yes we need a Preset or bank Import/export function.
Benis67

Post by Benis67 »

Nick Chronos wrote: 10:01, 23 February 2022 Greetings,Folks!

We are making custom presets for all kind of synthesizers & our team called www.lfo.store

And than we found that it impossible to save individual patches or patch groups like A (50 presets) B (50 presets) C & D

So we asking Roland to make an option of saving individual patches Or groups of patches cause without this option new JX & JD are not complete in questions of custom sound design.

Thanks
Nick
I’m working on a software where it is possible to import Zenology, Fantom and JupiterX/Xm .svz model expansions tones in jd-08 and jx-08 and it is possible to import a group of sounds (32-64) taken from other boutique backup files. It is possible loading and editing backup files. Now I’m finishing on ZenCore editor and librarian: later I will resume working for boutiques
horacewimp

Post by horacewimp »

Oh - that sounds great! I don't know what Roland was thinking when they developed it this way, but this import/export function sucks.
It would be great if your software could also export and import individual patches - i.e. exchange individual individual patches within a bank etc...
That would be very helpful.
And I'm still waiting for someone to find possibly existing sysex commands of the JX-08 (or JD-08). Maybe there is a hidden, undocumented sysex implementation - OK, dreaming is allowed ;-)
Rends

Post by Rends »

Is someone from Roland actually reading here?

I tried to contact the Roland Germany support and suggested an import export of banks feature.
but got a not so friendly reply and they seems unwilling to forward my suggestion to the Roland developers.
AndrewHenderson

Post by AndrewHenderson »

Rends wrote: 18:34, 18 May 2022 Is someone from Roland actually reading here?

I tried to contact the Roland Germany support and suggested an import export of banks feature.
but got a not so friendly reply and they seems unwilling to forward my suggestion to the Roland developers.
Very typical. This is the kind of response I am hearing others are receiving, as well. I tried reaching out to them about an omission on the TR-06, that wasn't on the TR-09 etc and got the same runaround reply. They really don't care. As long as people keep buying their products, for their asking price, without any support, this is what we will continue to get.
Shanghai Style

Post by Shanghai Style »

Benis67 wrote: 08:08, 16 April 2022 I’m working on a software where it is possible to import Zenology, Fantom and JupiterX/Xm .svz model expansions tones in jd-08 and jx-08 and it is possible to import a group of sounds (32-64) taken from other boutique backup files. It is possible loading and editing backup files. Now I’m finishing on ZenCore editor and librarian: later I will resume working for boutiques
That's great to hear. Just got my JD-08 (which really sounds great) but was surprised to see all its limitations in importing and exporting patches as wells the incompatibility to import JD-800 or Roland Cloud JD-800 patches.
Please let me know your progress, I will be one of your future customers ... ;-)
BR
Uwe
MartinJ2EX

Post by MartinJ2EX »

Benis67 wrote: 08:08, 16 April 2022I’m working on a software where it is possible to import Zenology, Fantom and JupiterX/Xm .svz model expansions tones in jd-08 and jx-08 and it is possible to import a group of sounds (32-64) taken from other boutique backup files. It is possible loading and editing backup files. Now I’m finishing on ZenCore editor and librarian: later I will resume working for boutiques
Any update on your project? I'd happy to donate a couple bucks to manage presets on my JX-08... such a great Synth but the patch managment, or lack thereof, is such a dealbreaker...
Benis67

Post by Benis67 »

Hello and sorry if I answer only now. My projects for now are to publish the zen Core editor-librarians for Fantom / 0, Jupiter x / xm and AX Edge (I think the first week of September) and in parallel I will offer a service for the Tone Model jx8p conversion -> backup file for JX-08 and Tone Model jd800 -> backup file for Jd-08. (I was thinking of 7EU for 64 sounds - 10 EU for 128).
Foksadure

Post by Foksadure »

There's a 3rd party donationware JD-whatever bank converter/manager in the works:

https://github.com/sagamusix/JDTools

https://gearspace.com/board/electronic- ... ibles.html
What can it do?
- Convert JD-800 SysEx dumps to JD-990 and vice versa
- Convert JD-800 SysEx dumps to the JD-800 VST / Zenology BIN format and vice versa
- Convert JD-800 SysEx dumps to the JD-08 SVD format and vice versa requires an existing JD08Backup.svd file to write the patches into)
- Convert JD-800 SysEx dumps to the "hardware ZC1" format (SVZ), as exported by Zenology. I have no idea which hardware synths can use that.
- And of course converting between BIN / SVD / SVZ formats
- Merge one or more SysEx dumps containing "temporary" patches into a patch bank. So for example if you have a MIDI file demonstrating individual patches one after another by uploading them into the temporary edit area, this tool can create a SysEx bank out of that.
- List all patch contents and more stuff from any of the supported formats.

Figuring out the data structures shared by the plugin, SVZ and SVD patch formats was a lot of work, so if you find this tool useful, please consider donating a few bucks.
nkronert

Post by nkronert »

Hi all,

I have created a Python GUI application that should allow individual patches to be copied from one JD08Backup.svd to another one, so you can e.g. merge patches of other people into your own patch set.
"Should allow" because I don't actually have a JD-08 unit.
Are there any volunteers to beta-test this functionality?
Here is the link to the repo, where you can find both a standalone (Windows) executable, as well as the original Python script:

https://github.com/NilsKr/JD08PatchManager

Note: unlike JDTools, my script doesn't have any knowledge about individual parameters within the patches. Maybe something for a future version :-)

Cheers,
Nils
MartinJ2EX

Post by MartinJ2EX »

nkronert wrote: 00:17, 1 November 2023 I have created a Python GUI application that should allow individual patches to be copied from one JD08Backup.svd to another one,
This tool is something Ive been looking for ages!!
It works great, haven’t uploaded an edited bank to the jx though..

A thing that’s missing, is pattern patches management something that’s included in the backup?
I mean, the pattern patches are the real “song” patches including split/layer, A+B voice patches, and reverb settings… :)
I hope this can be added :)
sm7x7

Post by sm7x7 »

Benis67 wrote: 08:08, 16 April 2022
Nick Chronos wrote: 10:01, 23 February 2022 Greetings,Folks!

Thanks
Nick
I’m working on a software where it is possible to import Zenology, Fantom and JupiterX/Xm .svz model expansions tones in jd-08 and jx-08 and it is possible to import a group of sounds (32-64) taken from other boutique backup files. It is possible loading and editing backup files. Now I’m finishing on ZenCore editor and librarian: later I will resume working for boutiques
How things are going with your importing software for JX-08?