Roland has 3 new boutique synths

Forum for boutique synths
richardbates1

Roland has 3 new boutique synths

Post by richardbates1 »

This has nothing to do with the JDXA but Roland just put out a teaser of their new boutique synths based on the Jupiter 8, JX3P and Juno.......didn't quite know where to post this
https://ask.audio/articles/roland-revea ... ynth-range

also
http://www.rolandus.com/promos/roland_boutique/
Synth Guru

Re: Roland has 3 new boutique synths

Post by Synth Guru »

It's going to be an exciting NAMM & MusikMesse 2016. I'm looking forward to it.

Here's a clearer look at the Boutique synths:
Attachments
Roland Boutique.jpg
Roland Boutique.jpg (86.52 KiB) Viewed 4291 times
richardbates1

Post by richardbates1 »

Hi Synth Guru, I tried to lighten up the image you posted to see if I could bring out any new details?
I think the synth on the left is supposed to be based on the Jupiter 8, the one in the middle is the JX3P and the one on the right the Juno?

The quality on this image is not very good.
BoutiqueSynths copy.jpg
BoutiqueSynths copy.jpg (109.01 KiB) Viewed 4210 times
Synth Guru

Post by Synth Guru »

Greetings Richard,

I think that you may have hit the nail on the head. That just may be the way it was presented by succession. What would really rock if these modules add like an extra OSC to an existing synth like the Jupiter. This why I'm also excited about the Moog Mother synth.

They really need to stop manufacturing these things to help keep our wallets in the pocket, lol.
richardbates1

Post by richardbates1 »

Synth Guru wrote:Greetings Richard,

I think that you may have hit the nail on the head. That just may be the way it was presented by succession. What would really rock if these modules add like an extra OSC to an existing synth like the Jupiter. This why I'm also excited about the Moog Mother synth.

They really need to stop manufacturing these things to help keep our wallets in the pocket, lol.
Isn't that the truth, so many toys so little money! I am still paying off my JDXA.
But I am really excited about what Roland is doing right now!
I wonder if these little boutique synths are going to be analog or ACB technology?
Can't wait to find out.
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

I am curious about these too. I am guessing ACB? I wonder how they will be badged?
Please no step sequencers.
rsaintjohn

Post by rsaintjohn »

Plug-out systems, perhaps? Like the System-1, but instead built to better emulate those J synths? Just seems like too few keys to really do the job. But I'd certainly be interested.
richardbates1

Post by richardbates1 »

Synthtron wrote:I am curious about these too. I am guessing ACB? I wonder how they will be badged?
Please no step sequencers.
I hope Roland stays true to the synths they are replicating?
The Jupiter 8 had a really good built in arpeggio,
and if it is going to be ACB I hope they get the sound quality really really close?
They've done a pretty good job with the replica plug-in/plug-outs so far.
richardbates1

Post by richardbates1 »

rsaintjohn wrote:Plug-out systems, perhaps? Like the System-1, but instead built to better emulate those J synths? Just seems like too few keys to really do the job. But I'd certainly be interested.
I think you've got it exactly right rsaintjohn.

I guess that means that there will be a Jupiter8, JX3P and Juno software plug-ins for the computer also of which can be put into the hardware synths?
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

Besides being close to sound and architecture, I wonder if they will have color schemes/deco reminiscent of the old classics. Will they be called Jupiter, JX or Juno or some variation like JP, JU, etc.?

Seems like many would like a Jupiter-8 remake (I would) but how many would buy it compared to these smaller boutique synths. Funny, I always considered Dave Smith Products more in line with "boutique," having smaller run on produced products and more $$$ to purchase.

Roland should have done this type of stuff several year ago. No one thought they would ever do analog again and now they have two instruments (JD-XA and JD-Xi) with analog synth bits. The ACB tech in the SYstem-1 and plugouts is good, IMHO it sounds very good. I used to have an SH-101 and sold it years ago. I do not miss it at all and now with the System-1 and the SH-101 plugout I can get that sound again and have patch memory and MIDI without the need of CV interfaces.
At least Roland seem to be coming around a bit.
Since they are implying these new synths are based on the Jupiter-8, Juno-106 and JX-3p we will see how this turns out as far as giving us classic sounds and sound design in a new modern, albeit, small package. Mini keys again, sigh. I guess they will sell a lot more than the big $2000 Plus synths.

It will be interesting to see what else they do in the near future.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

richardbates1 wrote:
rsaintjohn wrote:Plug-out systems, perhaps? Like the System-1, but instead built to better emulate those J synths? Just seems like too few keys to really do the job. But I'd certainly be interested.
I think you've got it exactly right rsaintjohn.

I guess that means that there will be a Jupiter8, JX3P and Juno software plug-ins for the computer also of which can be put into the hardware synths?
It could be Plug-Out yes, who knows... very curious to know, especially about the Jupiter-8

it seems Roland is "duplicating" what Yamaha did with the Reface range

The DX is awesome!!!
richardbates1

Post by richardbates1 »

Image of the Jupiter 8 boutique synth.
Roland_JP08_small.jpg
Roland_JP08_small.jpg (117.84 KiB) Viewed 4000 times
Roland_JP08_module_large.jpg
Roland_JP08_module_large.jpg (629.7 KiB) Viewed 3910 times
This was taken from Matrix synth web site

"Rumor is it will run $300.

One of the three upcoming Roland Boutique Mini synths. This one clearly modeled on the classic Roland Jupiter-8.

Looks like fun to me!

Thoughts?

Update: below is the front panel of a Jupiter-8 from this post, so we can compare them.

Differences:
- The LFO on the new JP-8 has additional waveforms.
- VCO-1 Range has additional 16 and 32 settings.
- VCO-1 has additional waveforms but appears to lose the triangle waveform for two sinewaves.
- VCO-2 Range extends from 16 to 64.
- VCO-2 Waveforms match VCO-1 but instead of noise there appears to be something else.
- On the JP-08 the two ENV Key Follows are moved to one switch with the four possible combinations of key follow for both envelopes, ENV-1 only, ENV-2 only, or Off.
- The arpeggiator on the Jupiter-8 appears to have been replaced with a sequencer on the JP-08.
- There are two Poly modes on the Jupiter-8. The JP-08 has one Poly button. Not sure if both modes are supported.
- The lower and upper hold buttons are absent from the JP-08.
- The JP-08 is missing the master Volume, Balance, and Master Tune knobs. Curious how you adjust volume on it - the VCA Level slider?
- The JP-08 adds two touch strips.

Everything else pretty much looks spot on."

I am not sure by reading this info wether the JP-08 will be analog? It states VCO's? and VCF's?
For $300.00 I don't see how it could be analog? My guess is ACB technology? But i don't know for sure?

It looks like a tiny little baby Jupiter 8, very cool!
It doesn't state anything about plug-ins/plugouts technology. Just hardware synths?
Synth Guru

Post by Synth Guru »

I think it looks very attractive! I look forward to hearing the sounds and how it interacts with other synths since I don't own the Jupiter. It seems like it will be a powerful little instrument.
richardbates1

Post by richardbates1 »

Synth Guru wrote:I think it looks very attractive! I look forward to hearing the sounds and how it interacts with other synths since I don't own the Jupiter. It seems like it will be a powerful little instrument.
Just when I thought I had bought my last synth for awhile, I know I am going to get this when it comes out!
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

richardbates1 wrote: Just when I thought I had bought my last synth for awhile, I know I am going to get this when it comes out!
You can't ever say that as the "dirty proposals" are always knocking at the door ;-)