Forum for boutique synths
Synthtron

Re: Roland has 3 new boutique synths

Post by Synthtron »

I prefer Sweetwater too.
richardbates1

Post by richardbates1 »

Synthtron wrote:Two bad they did not give the things the equivalent polyphony out of the box.
At least we have the option to add and chain a second unit.
I guess for us customers- why buy one when you can get two for twice the price--- to make one?
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

Would be nice if they had a keyboard option to house more than one unit with more keys.
What kind of MIDI implementation will these have is another thought. If the sliders and knobs can send controller data that would be so cool. You could use the JP-08 to control the Jupiter-8V by arturia. Not sure if that will be the case though but it does give you a MIDI out.
RayS

Post by RayS »

Wow Unbelievable ..what Roland is doing now. A changing technology!! All the mfgrs are making these cheap priced mini keyboards..Cant wait to hear demos of the JP 08 as I imagine it will be the hottest seller.
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

The baby mini and micro synths are here to stay. I like the idea of having the option of to add keys or no keys. I am interested in getting all three boutique synths and maybe 1 keyboard and interchhange them as needed. I think it would be cool to have them all in one case together with one keyboard to have splits and layers.

I also like the size, they will fit on many of the synths I aleeady have.

I guess saving patches will be like on the System -1, press and hold down a button to save.
Devnor

Post by Devnor »

I really like what Roland is doing with these new mini synths. Making the keyboard optional is a brilliant idea.

Ever since the Reface, I've been tossing around this idea. Do you know what a pedal board is? These are boards with effects boxes mounted that guitar & bass players use all the time. Essentially this is the same thing - using Velcro to mount the Roland synths, a CS Reface and the associated power supplies, effects pedals, midi merger and mixer. A "synth board"! Semi-modular, totally reconfigurable and personalized.

Initially I wanted to use a CS Reface with my pedals but it would be easy to add a few Roland synths and even some eurorack things like sequencers & the new Moog module.
richardbates1

Post by richardbates1 »

On Roland's boutique synth site there is new info saying "Coming soon October 1st"
I hope they will have sound samples on that date?
http://www.rolandus.com/promos/roland_boutique/
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

Anticpating the news on these on October 1. I also wonder what else Roland has planned kn the near future.
richardbates1

Post by richardbates1 »

This is a "Sonic State Talk" From Nick Batt and a few others in the electronic music field (Marc Doty, Ty Unwin, Robbie Bronnimann, Gaz Williams) chatting about the new Roland boutique synths. They can get pretty critical of the upcoming products but also all stated that they will probably end up getting one.

This video is them just speculating about the synths because no one has actually heard them or handled one but it is interest to hear their views from what they have seen on the internet so far.
Fast forward to 6:20 into the video, that's where the new boutiques synths are discussed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_p1CULjV288

P.S. the boutique synths are talked about during the first half of the video, then they go on to other hardware.
Synth Guru

Post by Synth Guru »

Hey everyone,

Here's Sweetwater's video on the boutique synths. Very kool!

https://youtu.be/RjVpWsA-FjA
richardbates1

Post by richardbates1 »

Here is a video of someone tinkering around with the JP-08
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owLzqdzoh3Y

This video covers all 3 fairly well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZArcYT3Nvck

This video specifically presents the JP08
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdruwPSp61I
richardbates1

Post by richardbates1 »

OK, I ordered one, should arrive mid October.....I am not sure what to expect but what I have heard so far sounds good. It is going to sit on the right side panel of my JP80 and the JP80 will control it as an extension of the jupiter 80. For the price can't lose! Maybe later get a second one for the 8 voices? It sounds beefy, powerful ............and straight forward the way the Jupiter 8 was set up to be. Boy they are tiny though!
Not sure how easy it will be to exact the controls for wanted sounds? Tiny, tiny, tiny! Lil baby Jupiter 8.
All that matters if it can create the sound of the Jupiter 8? We shall see?
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

I ordered the JP-08 as well. I do not have a Jupiter-8 to compare to. I am familiar with the Jupiter-8's sounds though. I am not sure what other one I want next. I have a JX-3p and a Juno-106 and 60 so I can compare the new JX-03 and JU-06 to these but I am still not sure which other one to go for. I will wait until after I get the JP-08 to make my decision. They are calling for a mid October release/shipping date. We will see.
richardbates1

Post by richardbates1 »

Synthtron wrote:I ordered the JP-08 as well. I do not have a Jupiter-8 to compare to. I am familiar with the Jupiter-8's sounds though. I am not sure what other one I want next. I have a JX-3p and a Juno-106 and 60 so I can compare the new JX-03 and JU-06 to these but I am still not sure which other one to go for. I will wait until after I get the JP-08 to make my decision. They are calling for a mid October release/shipping date. We will see.
I have never had a Jupiter 8 either but from the sound that I have heard from the videos of the JP08 it has a very rich sound, a sound that the ear picks up right away as having depth, richness and just sounds great. I had purchased the Arturia Jupiter 8V years ago but was not impressed, I tried about 8 or 9 times to give it a chance but could never stand the sound quality, I finally just took it off my computer and tossed the software away, no thanks Arturia.

To me the JP-08 has a real sound quality that pleases the ears, it sounds analog, and rich.

I heard a side by side comparison of the JU-06 to the Juno 106 and they sound almost identical, so I am expecting the same for the JP-08.

I don't know how to compare it to the Jupiter 8 but the JP-08 sounds very good to me and is easy to program which is what I loved about 80's Synths!
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

richardbates1 wrote:
Synthtron wrote:I ordered the JP-08 as well. I do not have a Jupiter-8 to compare to. I am familiar with the Jupiter-8's sounds though. I am not sure what other one I want next. I have a JX-3p and a Juno-106 and 60 so I can compare the new JX-03 and JU-06 to these but I am still not sure which other one to go for. I will wait until after I get the JP-08 to make my decision. They are calling for a mid October release/shipping date. We will see.
I have never had a Jupiter 8 either but from the sound that I have heard from the videos of the JP08 it has a very rich sound, a sound that the ear picks up right away as having depth, richness and just sounds great. I had purchased the Arturia Jupiter 8V years ago but was not impressed, I tried about 8 or 9 times to give it a chance but could never stand the sound quality, I finally just took it off my computer and tossed the software away, no thanks Arturia.

To me the JP-08 has a real sound quality that pleases the ears, it sounds analog, and rich.

I heard a side by side comparison of the JU-06 to the Juno 106 and they sound almost identical, so I am expecting the same for the JP-08.

I don't know how to compare it to the Jupiter 8 but the JP-08 sounds very good to me and is easy to program which is what I loved about 80's Synths!
I have the Jupiter-8V, I think it is good. From what I understand Howard Jones thought it sounded good too. It sounds more early 80's Roland IMHO than the JP-8000 I have. I am interested in hearing that JP-08 and the Jupiter-8V side by side.. I am So glad Roland finally did a modeled JP, JU, and JX though. I am not really into computers so this is great. I also really want to see how the JU-06 and the JX-03 sound compared to the real deals that I do have so I have decided to get those as well but only one K-25m.