Roland Boutique synths

Forum for boutique synths
cello

Re: Roland Boutique synths

Post by cello »

Well, I tried all of the boutiques today.

I had pre-ordered the JP-08 previously but it was really interesting to try them all. The chorus on the Ju-06 is enough to buy it in its own right! I have tried and tried to emulate that chorus on the JP-80 and JD-XA - the XA gets close (using its own chorus, PWM and de-tuning) but not the real deal. Might have to get it too :)

Despite the short travel of the sliders, they were firm and precise - same with the knobs; this surprised me. Build quality too is surprising; feel really robust.

The sounds? Great! :) The JP-08 sounded like a Jupiter 8 to me. The JU-06 sounded like a Juno 106 to me. The Jx sounded like one too - so much so it reminded me why I never liked that keyboard!

For the money involved, they represent huge value, fun and creative possibilities.

And I strongly suspect we will see ACB growing into a bigger keyboard that we'll see in 2016 or 17. In the meantime, get these while you can. I know how many are being produced (I'm not authorised to publish this info and I won't) - trust me, they won't be around for long.
Tom_1970

Post by Tom_1970 »

You're welcome PauloF.

Nice to read your findings Cello.
For me the JP-08 is the most interesting. I do like the sound of the other two, but due to space and the expectation that we will see them back in another form of instrument I stick to the JP-08 for the moment.
richardbates1

Post by richardbates1 »

Yes the build quality is really really good. I wished the JDXA had the same build.
Like Cello said even though the sliders are small they have good resistance and feel, so creating sounds feels precise. The sound is very rich.

My only suggestion is to get 2 of the same synth and poly chain them, I noticed that when using dual mode or Upper and Lower mode the voices run out really quickly, for the JP-08..... 8 voices are needed. If not using Dual and U/L ....4 voices seem to work OK.

I am really impressed with the sound of this little synth, definitely worth the purchase, I ordered another one right after this one arrived and had a chance to play around with it.

And it does fit really nicely on the JP80
Roland_JP08_JP802.jpg
Roland_JP08_JP802.jpg (167.06 KiB) Viewed 1764 times
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

richardbates1 wrote:Yes the build quality is really really good. I wished the JDXA had the same build.
Like Cello said even though the sliders are small they have good resistance and feel, so creating sounds feels precise. The sound is very rich.

My only suggestion is to get 2 of the same synth and poly chain them, I noticed that when using dual mode or Upper and Lower mode the voices run out really quickly, for the JP-08..... 8 voices are needed. If not using Dual and U/L ....4 voices seem to work OK.

I am really impressed with the sound of this little synth, definitely worth the purchase, I ordered another one right after this one arrived and had a chance to play around with it.

And it does fit really nicely on the JP80
Roland_JP08_JP802.jpg
Nice! Can't wait for mine to come in.
marctronixx

Post by marctronixx »

yeah since this is the only way i can currently get a jupiter 8 (i do have a j80) i will also get a second jp08 and keybed. these things are really nice.

i dont have room or money to get the others and the jp08 was the only one i wanted anyway.

i ended up getting the jp08 mainly because I can learn more about making sounds right on the table or on a trip or hotel room. this will also make me the j80 less intimidating as i will learn how to alter these controls.
richardbates1

Post by richardbates1 »

marctronixx wrote:yeah since this is the only way i can currently get a jupiter 8 (i do have a j80) i will also get a second jp08 and keybed. these things are really nice.

i dont have room or money to get the others and the jp08 was the only one i wanted anyway.

i ended up getting the jp08 mainly because I can learn more about making sounds right on the table or on a trip or hotel room. this will also make me the j80 less intimidating as i will learn how to alter these controls.
This is the only way I will ever own a Jupiter 8 or the equivalent, I will never spend $8,500 to $10,000 for a Jupiter 8, that is just ridiculous to me and almost obscene to spend that kind of cash on an old synth..... so this to me is a great way of having something that sounds really close for a reasonable price.
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

richardbates1 wrote:
This is the only way I will ever own a Jupiter 8 or the equivalent, I will never spend $8,500 to $10,000 for a Jupiter 8, that is just ridiculous to me and almost obscene to spend that kind of cash on an old synth..... so this to me is a great way of having something that sounds really close for a reasonable price.
Ditto!
marctronixx

Post by marctronixx »

thirded!!!