Roland Boutiques and the MX-1

Forum for boutique synths
kimsnarf

Roland Boutiques and the MX-1

Post by kimsnarf »

According to Kraft Music in their YouTube review at 31:27, the Roland Boutique series support power through the Roland MX-1 mixer. Since the MX-1 has only one USB port with power, only one device can draw power this way, but it is a great option. Especially since the MX-1 also supports MIDI and audio this way for the Boutiques. Basically, one cable for everything.

This is how I plan to connect my JP-08 when I get it. As others have stated, it just fits so perfectly on/with the Jupiter-80, I can't not buy it. :) And with a one-cable connection to my MX-1 it doesn't add much to the cable spaghetti either. I just hope I can resist buying another one to get 8 voices. :)

However, beware that the review states that additional Boutiques can not be connected to the other MX-1 ports, since they won't run on battery once USB is connected. Instead, additional units will need external power but can route their audio through the device connected to the MX-1 (through analog audio in/out).
Synthtron

Re: Roland Boutiques and the MX-1

Post by Synthtron »

I guess that is actually cool I never got an MX-1 Mixer. If it had more than one powered USB port I'd be more interested in it.
I recently sold my VT-1 and TB-3 since I got the JD-Xi. I wonder if the JD-Xi would work with MX-1 like via USB for Audio. That may be a stupid question.

Currently my JP-08, JU-06 and JX-03 are on battery power. I would like a more permanent power solution than batteries or using the USB ports on a computer.
marctronixx

Post by marctronixx »

synth,

you can get a power pack and connect them using some shorty usb cables.

smoke over this photo I just took:
Power bank
Power bank
POWER.jpg (40.82 KiB) Viewed 3716 times

I have lots of these portable power banks to use with my video production gear. this one i pulled from my gopro pelican case gear and attached to show. if you note i removed the batteries (you see on in the photo and the battery cover) to make sure all power was removed to show the unit being powered separately.

these can be had anywhere. if you do decide to give this option a try, don't get caught up on brand names (eg. anker) as these are all made in the same chinese factories.its rated at 50000mAh and I have used these to power SSD drives, gopros, tablets out in the wild on productions and they have been rock solid over the year I have had them.

super small footprint. you could possibly find some for less amp hours and smaller--maybe you could fit one in the empty space under the boutique when docked in the keybed...
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

marctronixx wrote:synth,

you can get a power pack and connect them using some shorty usb cables.

smoke over this photo I just took:
POWER.jpg

I have lots of these portable power banks to use with my video production gear. this one i pulled from my gopro pelican case gear and attached to show. if you note i removed the batteries (you see on in the photo and the battery cover) to make sure all power was removed to show the unit being powered separately.

these can be had anywhere. if you do decide to give this option a try, don't get caught up on brand names (eg. anker) as these are all made in the same chinese factories.its rated at 50000mAh and I have used these to power SSD drives, gopros, tablets out in the wild on productions and they have been rock solid over the year I have had them.

super small footprint. you could possibly find some for less amp hours and smaller--maybe you could fit one in the empty space under the boutique when docked in the keybed...
Hey thanks, I have ordered new USB cables (A to micro B) for the Boutique synths and am looking at getting a a 6 port USB charger.
Tom_1970

Post by Tom_1970 »

Nice to read your findings.

When I bought my MX-1 the only thing that bothered me about it was that half of the USB ports would be unused. I had a TR-8 and TB-3 and didn't plan on buying other Aira stuff.
Since I got a System-1m and Demora and with the update that supports my JP-80 and FA-06 and a JP-08 on pre-order I am running short of USB ports.

I hope there will be a successor to the MX-1 with more analog inputs, USB ports and a USB audio interface that sends multichannel audio to an external harddrive.

Yeah, just filling my time with fantasizing while I wait for my JP-08. ;-)