Poly chaining

Forum for boutique synths
richardbates1

Poly chaining

Post by richardbates1 »

Has any one got the poly chaining to work yet?
If so how did you do it?
I can't get mine to work yet?
I think I turned Poly mode on on both synths by pressing manual button plus 1 on the patch preset which is 9?
Do I need to have audio cables coming out of both synths?
apauw

Re: Poly chaining

Post by apauw »

Hi Richard,

don't know how good your Japanese is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEu-AaUgAjQ

There is a diagram in there which shows how to do it.

Basically the midi is chained forward to the next one, audio is chained backward (audio out to audio in), and both have chain on.

See how you get on with that.

Albert
richardbates1

Post by richardbates1 »

apauw wrote:Hi Richard,

Basically the midi is chained forward to the next one, audio is chained backward (audio out to audio in), and both have chain on.

Albert
My Japanese is non existent.
but thanks Albert the video helped, it looks like I need to buy an 1/8 inch stereo cable to go form one JP-08 to the other.

I finally got it to work except...........Is any one else getting a strange LFO wobbly audio noise from the 2nd JP-08 when both are connected with the audio cable? I can't get rid of the noise?
Synth Guru

Post by Synth Guru »

richardbates1 wrote:

Albert
but thanks Albert the video helped, it looks like I need to buy an 1/8 inch stereo cable to go form one JP-08 to the other.

I went and bought an audio cable and hooked them, I am having nothing but trouble.
I connected.....Midi out from first JP-08 to midi in on second JP-08.
Used manual button +1 in the patch preset section which I think is what the Operators manual sates a +9, did that on both.
Audio out from second JP-08 to Audio in on First JP-08

First I get a weird wobbly noise that doesn't go away.
The chain poly does not seem to be working if a 5 notes are struck one drops out?
I hooked it up the way the video shows but just isn't working properly.....maybe a bug?
Maybe I just haven't hooked things up properly?
Auuuughh!
Hi Richard,

This video is about a different synth but the poly chain process may be similar.

http://youtu.be/JEjmFmFCUYs

Hope it helps.
richardbates1

Post by richardbates1 »

Synth Guru wrote:
richardbates1 wrote:

Albert

I went and bought an audio cable and hooked them, I am having nothing but trouble.
I connected.....Midi out from first JP-08 to midi in on second JP-08.
Used manual button +1 in the patch preset section which I think is what the Operators manual sates a +9, did that on both.
Audio out from second JP-08 to Audio in on First JP-08

First I get a weird wobbly noise that doesn't go away.
The chain poly does not seem to be working if a 5 notes are struck one drops out?
I hooked it up the way the video shows but just isn't working properly.....maybe a bug?
Maybe I just haven't hooked things up properly?
Auuuughh!
Hi Richard,

This video is about a different synth but the poly chain process may be similar.

http://youtu.be/JEjmFmFCUYs

Hope it helps.
Thanks Synth guru, I finally got the poly chain to work but I am getting a strange LFO sounding noise in the background that has nothing to do with the patch selected??
If I pull the cable from the second Jp-08 the noise goes away??
Synth Guru

Post by Synth Guru »

Oh ok. Hmm since I don't own the Boutique synth, I'm not sure of the cause of the issue.
Synth Guru

Post by Synth Guru »

If you don't get resolution you could try gearslutz.com

There's a large thread under the electronic music forum for the Roland Boutique synths. May get an answer there as well.
richardbates1

Post by richardbates1 »

Synth Guru wrote:If you don't get resolution you could try gearslutz.com

There's a large thread under the electronic music forum for the Roland Boutique synths. May get an answer there as well.
Thanks, will do.
richardbates1

Post by richardbates1 »

richardbates1 wrote:
Synth Guru wrote:If you don't get resolution you could try gearslutz.com

Thanks, will do.
I found out the noise was from having 2 usb cables from both synths going into my computer.
I don't know why but when I pulled the 2nd USB cable and used the batteries the annoying noise went away.????
Go figure???
afewster

Post by afewster »

Are you using USB audio, or just powering via USB and using external outs? I'm having (probably) a similar issue with audio lfo/crackle..
https://soundcloud.com/afewster/crackle
richardbates1

Post by richardbates1 »

afewster wrote:Are you using USB audio, or just powering via USB and using external outs? I'm having (probably) a similar issue with audio lfo/crackle..
https://soundcloud.com/afewster/crackle
Mine is a constant LFO noise in the background....no crackling.

I am just trying to power both synths via USB to my computer, I have tried the 2 onboard inputs and using a USB hub, it didn't make a difference.

I have found so far that any time I plug-in 2 USB cables from both JP-08's, it doesn't matter if I use a USB hub or not I get that irritating LFO noise. If it is just one cable (no matter which synth I choose) no noise, but connect the second USB cable and instant noise?
So for now I can only play both synths when one is on batteries.

I will experiment with a second power supply with USB plug-in in the near future.
afewster

Post by afewster »

Richard - thanks for the update! Good luck with a fix
richardbates1

Post by richardbates1 »

OK I am getting frustrated with this whole USB power system!!
I have tried everything to get the second JP-08 to power up.

1. I have tried powering both the JP-08's using USB both going into my computer which a fairly new MacBook Pro but I get the strange background LFO noise

2. I went and bought a USB power plug that goes directly into a wall socket 500 mA USB power....it won't power the second synth.

3. The only way to get both working at the sometime with no annoying noise is to use batteries......I have used so many batteries so far that it is getting really expensive.

Why oh Why Roland did you just not give the JP-08 with their own power supply???????????

Is anyone else using 2 JP-08's together poly chaining? and are you having problems?????
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

richardbates1 wrote:OK I am getting frustrated with this whole USB power system!!

1. I have tried powering both the JP-08's using USB both going into my computer which a fairly new MacBook Pro but I get the strange background LFO noise

2. I went and bought a USB power plug that goes directly into a wall socket 500 mA USB power....it won't power the second synth.

3. The only way to get both working at the sometime with no annoying noise is to use batteries......I have used so many batteries so far that it is getting really expensive.

Why oh Why Roland did you just not give the JP-08 with their own power supply???????????

Is anyone else using 2 JP-08's together poly chaining? and are you having problems?????
Hi Richard,
I believe the noise comes from the fact you have two USB cables connected to the computer and having the audio cables from OUT of the first JP-08 into the IN of the second one, all that creating an audio loop that will create Hum (50 Hz hum).

I would try the following:

JP-08 (2) IN <--- JP-08(1) IN
______________JP-08 (1) USB---Audio/MIDI----> MBP (USB)
JP-08 (2) USB <------power only-------------------------------USB POWER Adapter

Let us know if this solves the hum noise issue
Cheers,
PauloF
richardbates1

Post by richardbates1 »

PauloF wrote:
richardbates1 wrote:OK I am getting frustrated with this whole USB power system!!

Hi Richard,
I believe the noise comes from the fact you have two USB cables connected to the computer and having the audio cables from OUT of the first JP-08 into the IN of the second one, all that creating an audio loop that will create Hum (50 Hz hum).

I would try the following:

JP-08 (2) IN <--- JP-08(1) IN
______________JP-08 (1) USB---Audio/MIDI----> MBP (USB)
JP-08 (2) USB <------power only-------------------------------USB POWER Adapter

Let us know if this solves the hum noise issue
Cheers,
PauloF
Thanks Paulo I appreciate the info.
I did finally get it to work...no irritating noise now.