Poly chaining

Forum for boutique synths
richardbates1

Re: my findings

Post by richardbates1 »

marctronixx wrote:ive 3 jp-08s in their keybeds and no noise or power issues.

you can use any standard usb cable. I am using three different cables from three different products. dont spend extra money on "apple" brand usb cables.

shorter usb cables are preferred over longer ones due to the length of cable and resistance in the cable. longer the cable, the power trails off.

usb hubs are 50/50 so if you plan to get one, make sure its of high quality and the power is clean. should there be any voltage potential betwixt the cables connected to the boutiques, you will notice this at output and/or weird shenanigans WRT operating the synths.

im using plain old AC power with the synths. I have also used a 50 000 mah power battery back for each (i have several of these that i use for other things) with no issues.

factory reset each synth and as mentioned when you alter the settings on one, its sent out to the next synth. you can also mix and match the synths or even use another different brand synth, however the sound may be different since its a different brand/module.

having no issues with my jupiter-12. this is as close as i will get to a jupiter 8 (I do have a j80 and juno 60 however)
do it.jpg
Hi marctronixx, just curious about the Boutique keyboards, do they have there own A/C power supply? or do they use USB to power them?
apauw

Re: Poly chaining

Post by apauw »

Hi Richard,

thanks for posting your experiences. Unfortunately, the boutique synths are not available in the Netherlands yet.

As for the usb problems, this is not unknown, with the Beatstep Pro you get a Y-cable usb splitter to avoid groundloop problems. One leg for the power adapter, and another for connection to the computer. I don't know if these are separately available. Just my two cents.

Albert
richardbates1

Post by richardbates1 »

apauw wrote:Hi Richard,

thanks for posting your experiences. Unfortunately, the boutique synths are not available in the Netherlands yet.

As for the usb problems, this is not unknown, with the Beatstep Pro you get a Y-cable usb splitter to avoid groundloop problems. One leg for the power adapter, and another for connection to the computer. I don't know if these are separately available. Just my two cents.

Albert
Thanks Albert
My problem right now is that I can't get the 2nd JP-08 to power up when using my external USB power unit?
Don't know why but my second JP-08 powers up for less than a second then shuts off.
I am hoping when the Apple USB power unit arrives that it will work?
I will find out Wednesday when it arrives?
Why I can't get the 2nd unit to power up with the power unit I am using now I don't know?
Right now I am relying on batteries.
Everything works perfectly when I am using batteries on the 2nd JP08
apauw

Post by apauw »

I assume you already swapped the two devices?
Does the problem move with the device, then it might be that there is something not correct with that one.

If you plug in the usb cable and wiggle it, do you see the power flipping? Might be the usb connector not properly soldered.

Just a few ideas.

Albert
richardbates1

Post by richardbates1 »

apauw wrote:I assume you already swapped the two devices?
Does the problem move with the device, then it might be that there is something not correct with that one.

If you plug in the usb cable and wiggle it, do you see the power flipping? Might be the usb connector not properly soldered.

Just a few ideas.

Albert
I've switched, it doesn't matter which synth I go with, same results.
I will just wait until Wednesday and see if the Apple unit works and I will let people know what the results are.

Thanks Albert
marctronixx

Re: my findings

Post by marctronixx »

richardbates1 wrote: Hi marctronixx, just curious about the Boutique keyboards, do they have there own A/C power supply? or do they use USB to power them?

the K-25m does not ship with any power. they only have the ribbon cable to connect to the synths.

I notice you are still having issues. im sure these have been posted, but to make sure i am on the same page with you:

1. try another usb cable
2. use the one cable that works betwixt both. if no problems with this ONE cable then

1. try a different usb port. different computer altogether
2. plug into the wall
tboneuk

Post by tboneuk »

Just to clarify. The issues some of us are experiencing does not sound like the typical ground loop 'hum' it is clearly some kind of leakage from the hi-speed/high frequency micro circuit entering the audio path. The sound is a very distinctive lfo type electrical noise. I have experinced similar noise when working on my own audio circuits that contained microcontrollers and other high speed buses when prototyping on unsuppressed boards.Ground loop noise sounds more like a hum with a high pitch element to it but does not 'beat' in an sinewave lfo fashion like this does.
richardbates1

Post by richardbates1 »

tboneuk wrote:Just to clarify. The issues some of us are experiencing does not sound like the typical ground loop 'hum' it is clearly some kind of leakage from the hi-speed/high frequency micro circuit entering the audio path. The sound is a very distinctive lfo type electrical noise. I have experinced similar noise when working on my own audio circuits that contained microcontrollers and other high speed buses when prototyping on unsuppressed boards.Ground loop noise sounds more like a hum with a high pitch element to it but does not 'beat' in an sinewave lfo fashion like this does.
Yes exactly! that is what it sounds like.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

richardbates1 wrote:
tboneuk wrote:Just to clarify. The issues some of us are experiencing does not sound like the typical ground loop 'hum' it is clearly some kind of leakage from the hi-speed/high frequency micro circuit entering the audio path. The sound is a very distinctive lfo type electrical noise. I have experinced similar noise when working on my own audio circuits that contained microcontrollers and other high speed buses when prototyping on unsuppressed boards.Ground loop noise sounds more like a hum with a high pitch element to it but does not 'beat' in an sinewave lfo fashion like this does.
Could be lack of screening between the digital and the audio path yes, but in that case it should also produce the noise even when running on batteries! Does it?
richardbates1

Post by richardbates1 »

PauloF wrote:
richardbates1 wrote:
Could be lack of screening between the digital and the audio path yes, but in that case it should also produce the noise even when running on batteries! Does it?
For me when running on batteries there is no noise at all.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

In that case this seems to bom dia some ground loop or a noisy power source when powered by the USB...

Maybe a crazy idea, but just for the sake of helping to understand where the problem might be, does any of you tried to somehow power the USB hub with a battery and to check if the noise is still there?

I would do it, but no JP-08's around ;-)
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

I have had this issue too when using USB powered by a USB charcher/powersupply. Whein I ised my old cell phone power adaptors no pulstaing noise.
richardbates1

Post by richardbates1 »

I just received my Apple iPhone USB power unit and everything works perfectly!!!!!!
No more wasting batteries, no more noise, and 8 voice polyphony from both synths working together.
Yeah!!
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

richardbates1 wrote:I just received my Apple iPhone USB power unit and everything works perfectly!!!!!!
No more wasting batteries, no more noise, and 8 voice polyphony from both synths working together.
Yeah!!
Apple Rocks!!!

... and Roland too, btw!! ;-)
tboneuk

Post by tboneuk »

How is the chain mode working for your two JP's?

It seems like you can only put them in chain mode where the voice allocation takes place if the midi channel is set to channel 1. I tried chaining them on channel 3 and it didn't appear to work.

I have daisy chained the midi Ju to jX to Jp#1 to JP#2. Ju set to channel 1, JX to channel 2 and JP's both to channel 3. After 4 notes sent to channel 3 nothing from the second Jp and the motes cut off. Swapped the Ju to channel 3 and Jp to channel 1 and everything worked great.

So, if this is the case you cannot have more than one poly chain on the same midi loop.

I also tried Polymer a great little app that does voice allocation from a poly midi source to any number of mono or poly synths. The algorithm does seem to handle the voices a little better than the ones built into the boutiques so far (nd you don't have to be concerned with setting chain mode on any of the devices - just set each on a different midi channel)

Any thoughts?