Extending polyphony question

Forum for boutique synths
Artmuzz

Extending polyphony question

Post by Artmuzz »

I heard its possible to extend the polyphony of 4-note to 8-note if polychaining two JP-08 synths. My question is is it possible to polychain one JP-08 with one JU-06 to get 8-note poly or do the boutique synths have to be the same model?
rsaintjohn

Re: Extending polyphony question

Post by rsaintjohn »

I chained the JP-08 to the JX-03. JX MIDI out to JP MIDI in. JP Audio Out to JX Audio In, and JX Audio Out to mixer.

Played a 4 note chord on the JX. Hit a fifth note, and it came from the JP, as I expected. A different tone, of course (that is, it didn't magically give a 5th voice to the JP). Adjusted knobs on the JX, and they had no effect on the JP. I could set the patches independently, and changing it on the JX didn't cause the JP to switch programs. Held notes down, adjusted pitch and mod sliders on the JX, and the JP picked up those changes up as well.

Started the sequencer on the JX, and the JP sequencer started as well (same pattern). I can see where I'll be able to set up some really awesome layered sequences using the two sets of voices. When you stop the JX sequencer, both stop. But you can stop the JP on its own. And restart it, though they'll be out of sync (but maintaining the same tempo).

Although the audio of the JP was running into the JX, its audio was still independent of the JX's reverb, delay and VCA.

So, in short, with two different Boutiques, you can do some cool sequenced tone layering, and control pitch and modulation on the master. Beyond that, I didn't see or hear much else.
marctronixx

Post by marctronixx »

you can also plug up another totally unrelated module and all the master boutique will do is send the note data to whatever is on the end.

i am a huge fan of the jupiter and have always wanted a j8. this little setup satisfies that desire:
jp12.jpg
jp12.jpg (114.92 KiB) Viewed 1204 times
richardbates1

Post by richardbates1 »

I could be wrong but I think in order to have a true 8 voice JP-08 it needs to be 2 JP-08's.
And both JP-08's have to have the same sound patches, they have to match identically, that's why I did a factory reset according to the manual when I got my 2nd JP. Now whenever I make a change on the master JP and save the new sound patch I also save the changes to the slave JP so that in the future they will match.
In short both JP'S have to be identical to have an 8 voice JP-08.
Otherwise when you play a 5 note chord or higher in single mode (not Dual) the 5th note/voice or higher will be different from the other 4 voices if they don't match up.

But like others have stated you can get interesting results when poly chaining JP's to JX's to JU's.