Boutique MIDI/Audio to DAW via USB or Audio Interface?

Forum for boutique synths
cloudburst

Boutique MIDI/Audio to DAW via USB or Audio Interface?

Post by cloudburst »

I'm looking for a little advice on choice of interface from my Boutique synths to my DAW.

I use Logic Pro X on my Mac and my main use case will be to either control the Boutique modules with an other synth keyboard as a controller or to control the Boutique modules from the piano roll in Logic.

I tend to record audio into Logic via my Presonus audio interface and I tend to use the DIN MIDI interfaces on there to have external keyboards control software instruments.

So I have 3 options to connect the Boutique. DIN MIDI via Presonus interface. DIN MIDI via Roland UM-One mk2 USB interface or USB straight in but via Boutique Driver I'd need to install.

What are the pros and cons?

Many thanks.
CB
cloudburst

Re: Boutique MIDI/Audio to DAW via USB or Audio Interface?

Post by cloudburst »

Okay - did a bit of experimentation with Logic Pro X, my Presonus iTwo audio interface, the JP-08 and the Boutique driver for OSX 10.11.

Having got things to work both ways ie. MIDI control of the JP-08 from the DAW whilst recording its generated audio back into the DAW EITHER via the separate audio interface (with separate DIN and audio Y cable) or direct via a single USB cable using the Boutique driver, probably the one thing which would sway me to the latter approach is the JP-08's short battery life. If you're going to plug the USB interface in anyway, why not just keep things simple and use it to transport MIDI and audio at the same time as power?

Does this sound like a logical conclusion to draw?

CB