Problem Entering Sequencer Notes?

Forum for boutique synths
rsaintjohn

Problem Entering Sequencer Notes?

Post by rsaintjohn »

I ran into this with my JX-03 a few weeks ago, but solved it quickly and didn't give much more thought to it. I never saw anyone else mention it until it came up today over on Facebook. But in case you run into this problem yourself, here's a possible solution.

Someone posted: "Problem: I can't input notes in my JU's sequencer steps using my midi connected keyboard (Yamaha reface DX). When i try to input a note into a specific step it simply goes mute. Is it me doing something wrong, or does it just work with the k25m keyboard?"

My reply: "I had a similar problem with the JX, but it turned out that it was the keyboard I was using. Most of my keyboards/synths -- I'd used the Casio CZ-1, XW-P1, iRig, and the Roland K25M -- worked fine, but it seemed that the other -- an old Ensoniq ESQ-1 -- did not.

What I found was that with the ESQ-1, I had to make sure I followed these step: press the JX step button, then press and hold the key on the controller, then release the JX step button, then release the controller key. My other controllers were not so particular; I could tap and release the key, then release the JX button, and the note would still register."

So if you run into this, just make sure to first release the Boutique step button, then release the key on the controller. Since he had the same problem with his Reface, I'm not sure if it's something particular to a board's key or MIDI settings, possibly something with the Boutique itself. But at least it's solvable.
apauw

Re: Problem Entering Sequencer Notes?

Post by apauw »

Just a thought, could it be that some keyboards send note on/note off, others always note on (but with zero velocity at release, so effectively a note off).

If I remember correctly from the midi implementation, the boutique only responds to note on messages (thust velocity 0 is note off).

Does your ESQ-1 send actual note off messages?

As said, just a thought,

Albert
mangepange

Post by mangepange »

Doesn't the ESQ-1 have release velocity. Could that be the problem?
rsaintjohn

Post by rsaintjohn »

The ESQ sends both Note On and Off, so I don't think that's it. But it has a number of settings for velocity and aftertouch, so it could have been something hidden away (even just on a per-patch basis) that I didn't check. Could even have been the particular MIDI Enable setting I had at the moment. I resolved it quickly and moved on. It's that it came up again with a new Yamaha Reface DX that piqued my interest, and made me want to post it here.
IraVirus

Post by IraVirus »

It's a common problem. Easily gotten around by just holding the note until after you release the step.