Split keyboard control of 2 patches or 2 boutiques

Forum for boutique synths
cloudburst

Split keyboard control of 2 patches or 2 boutiques

Post by cloudburst »

I think I've got my head around using multiple boutique modules to play in unison or (by chaining) to overflow/extend polyphony.

However, I'd like to use the keyboard split capability on my controller keyboard (a CZ-5000) to either control 2 different patches on a boutique module or 2 separate boutique modules. What is the normal way to do this? I can route via Logic Pro X or Mainstage if necessary. Would it be normal to assign 2 groups of notes to different MIDI outs? Or get the keyboard to assign different MIDI channels either side of the split point? Or something else?

Sorry - this is probably a very dumb question.

CB
IraVirus

Re: Split keyboard control of 2 patches or 2 boutiques

Post by IraVirus »

Yes. You would need two boutiques, set up on different channels. That's what my keyboard does with splits.
cloudburst

Post by cloudburst »

Thanks for the response. Yep, I've all the boutiques and plan to set the JP-08 plus one other on separate channels.

However, I don't think my Casio CZ-5000 in Key Split mode will split the MIDI output on different channels (perhaps someone could confirm?)

If that's the case, then I imagine I'd need to intercept the MIDI from the CZ and split it over 2 channels depending upon note mappings. And I imagine I'd do this using Logic, MainStage or something that the h/w configurability of an Oplab or the s/w configurability of an iConnect MIDI box.

Am I barking up the correct tree?

CB
rsaintjohn

Post by rsaintjohn »

cloudburst wrote:However, I don't think my Casio CZ-5000 in Key Split mode will split the MIDI output on different channels (perhaps someone could confirm?)
Without getting too complex about the CZ's MIDI implementation, it is simplest just to say that you are not going to be able to split the 5000 keyboard, assign one MIDI Out channel to Lower, and another MIDI Out channel to upper. That's what would be required to have, for instance, Boutique#1 listen on channel 2, and Boutique#2 listen on channel 3.
cloudburst

Post by cloudburst »

Okay - so I'll have to pass the MIDI from the CZ to either a DAW or other device and map the 2 note groups to 2 separate channels then. I'm guessing that's the usual way to do it. Thanks for clearing that up.

CB