First few hours with the JX03

Forum for boutique synths
iixorb

First few hours with the JX03

Post by iixorb »

Hi all

Decided to get a JX03 as it was the only Boutique left in my store, and also because it seems to have lots of sound shaping potential. I don't really 'need' it for any particular reason, but wanted to experience the early 80s analog world for myself (without breaking the bank !).

First thoughts :
Very well built
Rotary pots affect the sound in a very 'analog' manner if that makes sense?! I.e. there is no observable stepping.
Very deep bass, and squelchy highs. Good acid alternative?!
Tons of sound shaping capability - more than you get on a JU06 perhaps ? ( would be good to know what people who have both units think )
Nice bright LEDs but not too bright - and no observable LED 'bleed' into areas where it shouldn't be.
Feels retro ! Looks like it could have come from the 80's.
Good alternative to a Baseline. Obviously not the same as a 303, but far more scope to alter the sound.
Easy to backup patches and step sequences to PC
Can create great drum sounds - made an authentic 808 bass drum yesterday !

Initial wish list for what I reckon 'could' be possible:
Chorus is a bit too noisey, but I appreciate its based purely on the circuit of the original ( a nice update would be to include a clean chorus, as well as the original ) [fixed ! thanks rsaintjohn ! See below]
16 user patch spaces is a bit mean :-) Hope the engineers consider providing more space in a future firmware update!

Cheers
Steve
rsaintjohn

Re: First few hours with the JX03

Post by rsaintjohn »

iixorb wrote:Chorus is a bit too noisey, but I appreciate its based purely on the circuit of the original ( a nice update would be to include a clean chorus, as well as the original )
Your wish is granted! Looks like they left it out of the doc by mistake.

System Setting [MANUAL] + [12]: adjust the noise level of Chorus

[1] OFF
[2] HALF
[3] ORIGINAL (default)
iixorb

Re: First few hours with the JX03

Post by iixorb »

Brilliant ! Thanks rsaintjohn ! Nice clean chorus and Lovin' this thing even more now ;-)

Any idea where they've hidden the extra user patch banks ? Ha ha ha !

Cheers.