Chain mode only works on MIDI Channel 1

Forum for boutique synths
chancanasta

Chain mode only works on MIDI Channel 1

Post by chancanasta »

Hi,
apologies if this has been discussed before.

I recently got a couple of JP-08s and set them up in chain mode but had real issues trying to get them to work, I checked all the leads and all the settings - everything seemed fine, but I could only get 4 notes out of it - the second JP-08 refused to play.

If I turned off chain mode on the first JP-08 - both JP-08's played notes at the same time, so MIDI was working and so was audio. I tried switching the master/slave JP-08s but nothing worked.

I had both set to MIDI channel 4, and nothing worked until I set them both to MIDI channel 1. I went through a few more channels, setting both to 2,3,4,5,6 - no sounds from the second JP-08

Try it - it looks like chain mode simply does not work unless you're using midi channel 1.
cloudburst

Re: Chain mode only works on MIDI Channel 1

Post by cloudburst »

I just tried this.

You can use any MIDI channel you like to control the first boutique in the chain, however, the subsequently chained device (and this doesn't have to be a boutique) needs to be set to accept MIDI IN on channel 1.

The reason for this seems to be fairly straightforward: Whilst the boutiques can be set to accept MIDI IN on any channel, they will only send chained (overflow) MIDI OUT on channel 1.

CB
chancanasta

Post by chancanasta »

Ahh - ok, so if the second is set to 1, you can use any channel on the first and it we send on 1 to the second

Ok thanks - will try this evening
dexfx69

Post by dexfx69 »

One very important addendum to this conversation.

You have to use Midi channel 1 on BOTH units, otherwise, pitch and mod wheel info will not respond on the second unit. Found this out thru experimentation.