Boutique and Aira

Forum for boutique synths
funktree

Boutique and Aira

Post by funktree »

I’m about to get a few new pieces of gear and wonder if any of you have an idea if the Roland will make boutique aira compatible. I’d love to hook up one of these small beasts to the MX-1 mixer via the USB port. So that Audio flies into Mx-1 and MIDI Clock flies out of Mx-1 to boutique series

Thanks
apauw

Re: Boutique and Aira

Post by apauw »

As far as I understand, one USB port delivers USB power, so one port works well anyway with a Boutique. There are youtube movies to show that it works.

In the original Boutique firmware, as soon as you plug in a USB cable, it wants power through that port, so that did not work on the other USB ports on the MX-1.

With the new firmware there is an option to ignore this. So you can run the Boutique on batteries AND have the USB cable connected and working (although no power delivered through it).

Hope this answers your question.

Regards,
Albert
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

Upgrade the firmware on both modules and you're all good! If you are like me and use 2 boutiques with the MX-1 then the workaround is to use channel 5/6 on the mixer for the 2nd boutique. Be aware though that the midi routing of the USB cables is crap - it doesn't seem to send midi to the boutiques which may be your aim (like me). Unfortunately you need midi cables to control them still. I used to use an Arturia Keystep (great for controlling 2 boutiques simultaneously), but now use a FA-06 which gives me all the midi sequencing fun anyone could ever want!
funktree

Post by funktree »

Myrk- wrote:Upgrade the firmware on both modules and you're all good! If you are like me and use 2 boutiques with the MX-1 then the workaround is to use channel 5/6 on the mixer for the 2nd boutique. Be aware though that the midi routing of the USB cables is crap - it doesn't seem to send midi to the boutiques which may be your aim (like me). Unfortunately you need midi cables to control them still. I used to use an Arturia Keystep (great for controlling 2 boutiques simultaneously), but now use a FA-06 which gives me all the midi sequencing fun anyone could ever want!
Yes I have arturia Keystep ... thanks for that piece... However, the point is for me to utilize inputs USB1-USB4 for roland gear. My analog inputs 1234 5/6 would be populated by the Novation Circuit, Electribe & and a few volcas.

As far as MIDI goes, my master would be MX1 that sends sync to Arturia Keystep which then goes to boutique & circuit ... eventually I'd get the Tr-8 or Tb-3 to occupy USB3 hopefully slaved to MX1.

Based on the answers (Thanks Albert too) I should be able to ROUTE the audio from boutique via USB to the MX1 is that correct ?
apauw

Post by apauw »

That is how it should work.

The only problem with the MX1 is that only one USB port will deliver power.

HAve a look at this:

https://youtu.be/ZArcYT3Nvck?t=1912
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

Exactly! Be aware the keystep seems great, but the limitations were enough that I ditched it from my setup within 1 week! You can only really control 1 at a time unless you use the sequencer, but then all the modifiers only work on the sequence instead of the free play... A bit useless really...
funktree

Post by funktree »

apauw wrote:That is how it should work.

The only problem with the MX1 is that only one USB port will deliver power.

HAve a look at this:

https://youtu.be/ZArcYT3Nvck?t=1912
Perfect.. why I have not found this video :(
How about helping MX1 with a powered USB hub to get power to boutique ... would MX1 take it ?
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

Huh? No. You have the same issue I have, and the only way around it is either use batteries in one of the boutiques or connect it up to stereo input 5/6 (also a minijack so easy to hook up). You might be able to hook up a USB Y connected to the boutique to feed it power and take the USB out, but I'd highly suggest querying Roland tech support about that rather than trying it out... I wouldn't wanna fry my MX-1!
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

Digging up a bit of an old thread here, but I'm now re-encountering this whole issue!

Has anyone tried using a Y splitter USB cable to give power and connection to MX1? Assuming the splitter doesn't connect the data send and the power receive together (only combining inside the boutique) then I see no reason why this shouldn't work.... right? Like the one from the Beatstep pro:

Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

After accidentally plugging in a FA PSU into my MX-1 and finding it didn't fry it, I decided to test out the Y splitter from the beatstep pro - it's way less voltage going down the USB than the mains adapter! But awesome news - the splitter works! You can have 4 boutiques into your MX-1, as long as 3 of them use Y splitter cables (where you're gunna need 2 USB's per module, so total 7 USB's to plug in 4 boutiques as input 3 spits out power). This will work out like a charm for my setup as it will free the other inputs for my other gear and also grouping the sliders together for my boutiques.

Now I just need to find some more Beatstep Pro Y splitter cables! I've been scouring the net to try and find something similar and not coming up with anything... The replacement cable set from Arturia costs $15+shipping which is crazy price just for an adapter.
DaveJ

Post by DaveJ »

Thats great info.
I was not sure what you meant by "total 7 USB's".
But then when I steped it out in picture - 7 USBs = 3 USB Cables for Aria/Audio + 3 USB Cables for power + 1 USB Cable for Power/Aria/Audio

3x USB Splitter:

1x USB Splitter:
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

If anyone is making an order for these cable splitters let me know - they charge ridiculous shipping (over US$40) to Hong Kong - they won't send it in a small envelope or anything... arg. PM me if so! :)
DaveJ

Post by DaveJ »

The Arturia cables arrived & work great.
I also confirmed with Roland Support - recommend Wall Wart at 5v 500ma.

I happen to have a Wall Wart with exact volts & Amps with built in cable to Micro USB - So I dont require the extra USB cables for power :)
I think it was from a Mobile phone at one stage.
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

I also ordered some more arturia cables that came today. Now all my setup is on the MX-1 on USB channels 1, 2 and 3, with nice yellow knobs and sliders to delineate from the rest. Sweet! For power I use a surgemaster type power socket for my whole rig that has 4 USB ports - 2 are 1A and 2 are 2.2A, so I use the 1A outlets. I can reserve the 2.2A for powering my Mininova (if I ever add it in, most likely for vocal work), or keystep/beatstep pro via USB.

I think the only thing I have left to do with my setup is get 1 more midi cable (man I have like 9 in my setup already), and also order from Roland spares (hopefully in China where it's waaaaay cheaper) to get a black surround for my TR-8 - can't stand the fact the MX-1 and TR-8 are the same shape and size, yet the MX-1 surround is a nice black but the TR-8 is that ghastly green... arg!
NevinDouglas

Post by NevinDouglas »

Myrk- wrote:Digging up a bit of an old thread here, but I'm now re-encountering this whole issue!

Has anyone tried using a Y splitter USB cable to give power and connection to MX1? Assuming the splitter doesn't connect the data send and the power receive together (only combining inside the boutique) then I see no reason why this shouldn't work.... right? Like the one from the Beatstep pro:

This is exactly what I've done for my setup.

The only USB Y-splitters I could find that work properly are available through Arturia, as part of the Beatstep Pro replacement cable kit:

https://www.arturia.com/store/accessori ... -cable-kit

By default, the Boutique synths send and/or receive data (audio and midi information) AND power through a single USB cable. These Y-splitters let you send the data from your boutique to the MX1, while drawing the power from a USB power hub. This has allowed me connect up to 4 Boutique units to the USB ports on my MX1, as seen here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2iZYpP3Ewo