Tr-09 vs tr-8

Forum for boutique synths
funktree

Tr-09 vs tr-8

Post by funktree »

if you do a quick compartment between TR-09 and tr-8 what are the major differences in functions:

missing from Tr-09:
1 - no scratch/studder effects * knob
2 - less effects to choose from
3 - no mutes
4 - rotate instead of volume sliders
5 - No audio input
6 - No plugouts only 808

missing from tr-8:
1. No drum rolls
3 ... ?

Can somebody help me to complete this list. I still think that Tr-8 is better deal for a buck

THanks !
IraVirus

Re: Tr-09 vs tr-8

Post by IraVirus »

Missing from tr-8:

Pleasing aesthetics.
Bodde

Post by Bodde »

funktree wrote:
missing from tr-8:
1. No drum rolls
3 ... ?
The TR-8 has drums rolls but just a few. But I don't know how to record them in the patterns. Not sure if this is possible somehow. Anyone?

I would choose the TR-8. I think the sound is more or less the same (?). The TR-8 is much more versatile than the TR09. More sounds, more effects and faders as you say. Other pluses are; normal jack outputs instead of the whimsy mini jacks. Adapter connection instead of batteries. Sure the TR-09 looks sexier and I am not fond of the green lights of the Aira series. But I think the TR-08 has more to offer than the TR-09.
chancanasta

Post by chancanasta »

funktree wrote:
missing from tr-8:
1. No drum rolls
3 ... ?
2.Track / Song Mode

One of the big things (for me anyway) that the TR-09 has which is missing from the TR-8 is song mode.
No song mode and also no ability to change patterns via MIDI on the TR-8 is it's largest and strangest omission
SophieLazar

Post by SophieLazar »

So, since I do not own the Tr-8, I'm wondering if this one aspect is is true,

3. the ability to accent individual steps in the sequence x individual instruments, esp., hats.

because that is the key ingredient, for me, in getting authentic groove without having to do the accents manually, using the velocity bars in for example ableton... note that, this, the total accent, and individual accent is something I'm just today working on with the TR-09 unit (have not had it long) so if my comment is inaccurate, maybe I can amend this after I've done this some more and am getting it to sit the way I want in the tracks.
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

TR-8:
You cannot record drum rolls. As for the number, theres 16 - 4 buttons which can be combined or pressed individually to create different rolls... but the fact that you can't record them into the sequence is a bit of a smack in the face if you ask me. You can however trigger it from a sequencer... just not it's own.

If the aesthetics offend you then Synthgraphics do an 808 and a 909 overlay panel. They are sold out now, but I'm sure Jamie can do another run if there's enough interested people: http://www.synthgraphics.com/Roland-TR8 ... TR909.html

Really the TR-09 seems pointless to me, I really did think it was a strange move on Rolands part to cannibalize the sales of the TR-8 on a lesser product. My guess is that given the bad flack aira gear got from old skool users that branding a part of it (the 909) into a boutique was a way to sell the product to those who wouldn't buy the TR-8, especially as the boutiques were well received by the public. I'm sure we will see a round 3 of them!