Problems with usb from computer

Forum for boutique synths
Willvandervliet

Problems with usb from computer

Post by Willvandervliet »

Please some help with problem on USB power with Mac.

When i use the usb port on the mac i get a strange kind of low noise.

When i use a USBwallcharger everything works fine.

I installed the latest driver for the MAC.

What could be the problem.
Willvandervliet

Re: Problems with usb from computer

Forgotten, i'm using a JU 06
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

Sounds like your Mac has a grounding issue. Do you get the noise when the power is plugged in or not? And does it still make the noise when you plug/unplug it from the mains power?
funktree

Post by funktree »

No it is NOT the mac. I hit the same issue with ipad/iphone. There is some "grounding issue" with JP-08 when using the usb to power it while the audio out is connected to the same device that provides powers to the JP-08. This setup creates a electric loop where a draw from the USB gets added to the audio out signal. The only solution is to power Jp-08 with batteries so that usb power is NOT used when the audio out is connected to the same device.

Code: Select all

JP-08 -audioout  <->  MAC  
|                       |
|         LOOP          |
|                       |
JP-08 USB    <->   MAC USB
Willvandervliet

Do you think it's posible to solve this problem with a software update ?
LivingEdge

Post by LivingEdge »

funktree wrote:...There is some "grounding issue" with JP-08...
You might need to use a passive (not active / powered) hub as an isolator between the mac and the JP-08, or between the JP-08 and anything that it plugs into via USB while it is powered. Other than that, a poor adapter circuit could be the problem and noise is getting in through the wallwart into the DC USB circuit and causing audio problems.

Contact the manufacturer of the JP-08 and see if there is a fix. I don't own a mac, but I used to at one time.
mimoid

Post by mimoid »

All the Boutiques tend to generate an awful lot of noise when connected through USB to the computer, much more than any of my other synths. I don't think there is anything you can do about this. I would recommend using the analog outputs, using regular MIDI cables to control the Boutiques and power them from a separate USB wall charger.

/// Tom
PugFace

Post by PugFace »

Get this. its the standard ground loop solution, totally removes the mains noise, and utterly low cost. My Ju-06 had the expected mains noise when i first hooked it up. Silent now. The HD400 also will convert from TS to TRS if you need it.

Behringer HD400.
https://www.music-group.com/Categories/ ... 00/p/P0387

You will also need some adapter cables. 3.5mm Stereo to 2x6.3mm Mono going in to the HD400 and either dual 6.3mm TS or TRS to go out.
cloudburst

Post by cloudburst »

If you absolutely need to use the USB (eg. to send carrier or format to the VP-03), then any of the Boutiques can be booted in "take power from batteries rather than USB" mode and I've found this reduces the hum significantly.

CB
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

You setup picture shows a full loop with your MAC and boutique - classic way to create buzz (from my experience anyway), especially if all your gear is only on 1 power socket. I'm not an electrician, but I'd guess you need a way to divide off the USB or something to a ground that is on a different power socket in your house. But does this happen when you are running the MAC on batteries (I assume it's a laptop? but that would be really weird...)? I used to have this issue when silent (headphone) jamming - if we all used 1 power socket the buzz was crazy, but using 2 eliminated it completely by us grounding to other gear.

I have zero buzz on my setup, but I run an audio cable from my mixer to speakers which are on a different power socket, and I'm certain this is grounding it all.

The only other thing would be if your house has long bar lights in it? These absolutely fuck with all musical gear, adding buzz to anything (lots of EM distortion from them... I get it all the time living in Hong Kong!).
Bodde

Post by Bodde »

mimoid wrote:All the Boutiques tend to generate an awful lot of noise when connected through USB to the computer, much more than any of my other synths. I don't think there is anything you can do about this. I would recommend using the analog outputs, using regular MIDI cables to control the Boutiques and power them from a separate USB wall charger.
Yes I am having the same issues with my TB-03. When powering it with my computer usb there is a lot of noise/hum coming from the audio out. When using a powered usb hub the noise is still there (although a lit bit less, but still too much). When using an external usb adapter the noise is gone. I have an iMac. I don't have this with any other gear. This clearly is a Roland Boutique hardware problem.

How can we contact Roland about this? since many people are having these issues they should do something about it.