tr-09 clap and snare phasing

Forum for boutique synths
Andrie

tr-09 clap and snare phasing

Post by Andrie »

anyone noticed if the clap and snare run together in a pattern, there is this really ugly phasing

both on normal out as well as on usb
Soulp

Re: tr-09 clap and snare phasing

Post by Soulp »

yes i've noticed too
Soulp

Post by Soulp »

but i think it's a real 909 signature at the end
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electro ... blems.html
iixorb

Post by iixorb »

Hi,
I noticed this too on my TR09 'out the box' but having tweeked the levels and parameters around, the phasing has disappeared.
It may have helped that I have shortened the clap decay to 45. I think it also helps to avoid having the Snare and Clap trigger at the same time.
I don't think this is a problem with the 09; moreover it's possible that this is how a real 909 behaves ( as suggested in the post above mine).

I have never owned a real 909 but obviously we've all heard plenty of them over the last 30 years, and this thing kicks !! Absolutely chuffed with it! Gotta be careful not to damage my hearing :-)
Andrie

Post by Andrie »

hey, well my whole purpose is to have snare and clap at the same time: i just love that combi: if i record and pahse reverse the clap it dissapears: i really hope they at least give the option to turn it in an update
iixorb

Post by iixorb »

Hi there,

Have a listen to this one with decent headphones https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=csWlxhzjt2E

I think you will hear the phasing on the clap/snare on his TR909 as well as his TR09. I think it's just a normal 909 trait.

The chances are, we've all been listening to sampled 909 sounds ( rather than real 909's) in most of the dance tracks we're familiar with, and some aspect of the snare/clap phasing perhaps is lost in sample packs; we've become accustomed to what we 'think' a raw 909 'should' sound like.

The TR09 is the closest that most of us will get to real TR909 'behaviours', and that will include some downsides that the masses were not aware of. Just a thought :-)
Soulp

Post by Soulp »

exactly i guess who owns a real tr909 is not interested at all in TR09 so all we cats here just have not experience with the real :)
Andrie

Post by Andrie »

normal or not 4 the original: it was clearly a mistake they made in the 80s, that they coudl ahve fixed with this version: simple clap inverse in the menu could fix it: did it in ableton: There is that snappy clap together with the snare
Chug Norris

Post by Chug Norris »

As someone who owned a Tr-909 for a quarter of a century, I can tell you that this is authentic behaviour. The Snare and Clap share the same white noise generator so this is thought to be the reason for the phasing. When I used to record my 909, if I didn't like this, I would have to multitrack them on separate passes. But usually I liked it.

The TR-8 does this too - it's kind of reassuring that the ACB technology is being implemented very thoroughly!
dspange

Post by dspange »

I can also agree the TR-909 clap & snar also has that phase effect when both playing out the main.

I give Roland props the TR-09 does sound almost identical to the original !

I hope the TR-08 sounds identical !
marctronixx

tr-08

Post by marctronixx »

the tr-08 is a beast! knocks the pants off the tr-8