TB 03 copying patterns

Forum for boutique synths
jimmywheelo

TB 03 copying patterns

Post by jimmywheelo »

Hi everyone

I have had the Tb03 for a few days now and have to say overall I'm thrilled.

It's the closest I'll get to owning a Tb 303. It sounds fabulous. Couple of early observations

1) It sounds bloody lovely
2) Don't like the volume being on the back
3) The wave switch feels/looks a bit flimsy
4) Effects - distortion is nice if not cranked up too much, Delay seems useless at anything over 1/4 of max setting. For me it's a bit extreme.
5) other than small gripes the overall build quality is great, it feels solid.

OK so I have managed to copy patterns in Rig mode but surely there has to be a simpler way to do this in step mode?

nothing in the manual which is a pain too read with it's minute text size

Thanks in advance.
TagPass

Re: TB 03 copying patterns

Post by TagPass »

1) It sounds bloody lovely
Ditto!
3) The wave switch feels/looks a bit flimsy
Seems solid on mine..?
4) Effects - distortion is nice if not cranked up too much, Delay seems useless at anything over 1/4 of max setting. For me it's a bit extreme.
Totally agree. I can't find a satisfactory setting for the delay at all, unless I use a really short feedback time to make it sound "metallic", which is an effect I might use... maybe once? Delay sync doesn't appear to function in any way I would expect -- it just never aligns on the beat, no matter where the dial is turned, except maybe fully clockwise. I would think this could be updated in a firmware revision if we could use the TAP button to sync the delay.
OK so I have managed to copy patterns in Rig mode but surely there has to be a simpler way to do this in step mode?
I've been through the manual back and forth, and I see no way to copy a pattern, which is something I figured would be *really* useful! Can you elaborate?!
iixorb

Post by iixorb »

Hi,

What I have noticed is (in Write Mode) if you select a blank pattern next to the one you want to copy, switch to Time Mode, and press Button 9 (transpose down) 16 times, it replicates the pattern to the left of it.

This is only useful if the pattern next to the one you want to copy is blank. I haven't found out how to do a true copy and paste yet.
TagPass

Post by TagPass »

iixorb wrote:Hi,

What I have noticed is (in Write Mode) if you select a blank pattern next to the one you want to copy, switch to Time Mode, and press Button 9 (transpose down) 16 times, it replicates the pattern to the left of it.

This is only useful if the pattern next to the one you want to copy is blank. I haven't found out how to do a true copy and paste yet.
That is incredibly useful. How did you figure that out?! Was that a hidden function on the original?

Even though it just copies the notes, not the time, it still is a lot quicker than re-creating the pattern from scratch each time, especially if you want just a couple simple variations.
Nig

Post by Nig »

There's a new update for the TB-03 released that makes it a bit easier to copy:

Update history
[ Ver.1.04 ] NOV 2016
Additional Functions

Preset patterns were added.
* To use the added patterns, a factory reset is required.
A copy function for patterns was added.
A random generator function for patterns was added.

https://www.roland.com/global/support/b ... 70b57fcad/
iixorb

Post by iixorb »

Thanks Roland for implementing a proper Copy feature...

But folks, be careful.....!

The Copy feature is accessed by holding down 'Function' and then 'F#' (then you let go of the Function button, press the pattern position you want to copy to, and accept by pressing the flashing 'Write / Next' button).

HOWEVER if you accidentally press Function + G# or A# instead of F# when activating the copy function, you will actually immediately over-write the pattern which you wanted to copy in the first place with a randomly generated one!!! (as I did tonight!). And it will be lost forever !! So be careful ;-)

Would be nice if Roland could add an 'UNDO' function for such mistakes, perhaps on Function + C# (for example). Or move Copy from F# to C#.