TB-03 first impression from a former TB-303 owner

Forum for boutique synths
iixorb

TB-03 first impression from a former TB-303 owner

Post by iixorb »

Hello,

Yes I foolishly parted with my immaculateTB-303 in 2008, so I could get funds together for a Korg M3 - thinking that its time was over and 303's would drop in price anyway..... (the actual hi-res one on the TB-303 Wikipedia page was mine) Doh ! Stooopid!

Having owned that TB-303 for about 15 years, I think my ears are well honed to the subtle little nuances which sets a TB-303 apart from the clones.

I also own a Bassbot TT-303 and used to own aTB-3.

I haven't bought the TB-03 yet, but spent about 20 mins in the music store with one, using headphones.

First thoughts:
Well built and feels like the TB-303, obvious differences aside. I think the 3 little protruding and rounded LED's are a nice authentic nod to the original; the Bassbot's LED's on the other hand are all below the surface and although it is meant to look identical, the shiny plastic coating on the Bassbot spoils what could have been a more believable look.

With the TB-03, I think Roland have captured the 'Woah' sound very well and this is a key characteristic. For me, a real TB-303 sounds a bit like it's in pain with toothache when it 'woahs' !! The Bassbot TT-303 doesn't replicate this nuance as deeply as it should, even though it's a proper analog unit. I couldn't get my TB-3 to do this properly either, but then that could be because Roland missed out the Env Mod pot in favour of that horrible touch pad!!

Whilst I think the 'Woah' has been perfectly recreated, the TB-03 did seem to lack some analog warmth/depth which is there with real analog units like the TB-303, TT-303 and even my Korg Volca Bass. I can sense that it's missing, yet I don't really mind because in a mix, this wouldn't come across anyway and I think that getting the 'woah' right (which Roland have done),they've accomplished the most important aspect of what a '303 clone should have.

The pots are good quality and a good size, spaced far enough apart that you won't move the neighboring one.

Overall I think they've done a good job and having owned a Roland TB-303, I think I'll have a similar sense of authentic ownership with a TB-03. For me, the TB-3 never really 'grabbed' me, I think because it was such a radical departure - in physical form and use - from what I was used to. The Bassbot TT-303 feels right (apart from the shiny finish) but it's not extreme enough in the 'toothache, Woaahh' department. I will probably get a TB-03 (once the finances have recovered from purchasing the excellent TR-09 :-)
subj

Re: TB-03 first impression from a former TB-303 owner

Post by subj »

Thanks for the post,very informative.I think you've just cost me 329 quid :)
iixorb

Post by iixorb »

Bought a TB-03 now and still stand by my original thoughts !!

The Bassbot has a bit more 'squelch' I think (not much more) but the TB-03 definitely has a better 'Woaow sound (res up full, with cutoff and env mod scaled back).

Happy :-)
Darkside

Post by Darkside »

Hi. Finally the time has come for me to buy a first thing from Roland and bombasticly it's the Tb-03 bassline! I have waited for a good emulator of the infomous acid sound for like 10 years, as back then in 2006 me and my friends tested various plugin emulators and discussed a dream of having a similar consept in the box and now here it is. The main reason for not opting for any of the plugins is a fact that being completely blind makes it better to work with physical hardware rather than trying to navigate those horrible plugin interfaces using a screen reader. So I'm really sattisfied with the Boutique solution while having never owned a real 303 I just love that sound to death, really. It's easy to agree with the topic starter, that this machine can replicate that funny bow sound really nicely. Yep, the fx aren't the funkyest thing on it, but happily they can be ignored. I haven't tested it yet with any other external processing, but it's about to happen still one day. The only bigger complaint that I have at this moment is the manual. While it's readable as pdf document, it has that stupid formatting thing like all those "modern" folded sheet paper conversions - the thing is, that when reading whit assistive technology, all kinds of tables/lists and sometimes even logic of the pages itself is quite messy and out of order. May-be someone who gets the point of the problem and has a bit of willingness to help out could do it one beautyful day. I really would be greatful to that persone. Fortunately the hardware itself is logical and simple. Being a geekyminded guy it's not a problem to learn yet another sequencer based device, actually complete opposit of that - I simply enjoy all these drum machine/step sequencer interfaces. Sorry for a rant, but it's also my first post in here and in the future I promise not to mix different topics in one posting. Happy accidents to everybody!