Could other manufacturers products be "Boutiqued" by Roland?

Forum for boutique synths
iixorb

Could other manufacturers products be "Boutiqued" by Roland?

Post by iixorb »

Seeing how well the TR909 has been integrated into Boutique form (and hoping Roland do the same with the TR808 next), it would be great if Roland would be able to reach out to whoever owns the rights to non-Roland products such as the Linn Drum, the Oberheim DMX etc and get permission to make Boutique versions of these too!

Just a thought.. Unlikely I know, but we can dream :-)
phm78

Re: Could other manufacturers' products be "Boutiqued" ?

Post by phm78 »

It's a dream...:)
enotide

Post by enotide »

My Hope is that they do the MC-202, and SH-101 next as well.
cloudburst

Post by cloudburst »

Maybe even a Fairlight :-)

CB
apauw

Post by apauw »

A D50 would be nice,

Hardly any sliders, mostly buttons, in that respect very doable.
iixorb

Post by iixorb »

apauw wrote:A D50 would be nice,

Hardly any sliders, mostly buttons, in that respect very doable.
That's a Roland product, of course :-) and generally you could pick up a real D50 for the same price as a Boutique. The integration with a DAW would be useful though... I suppose if they included all the sliders off the PG1000 programmer, it would make sense (but that's a lot of sliders !!)

In my original post, I was eluding more to other manufacturer's sought after equipment, especially that which commands sky high used prices. Drum machines like the Linn Drum would work really well in this format, and again like the other Boutique products, would give mere mortals like me the chance to own something akin to the original product.
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

I doubt they'd do an 808... the TR-8 kinda already is an 808 (with a 707, 727, 909, etc) so it really slays any 808 boutique that could exist - but I was surprised they made the TB-03 and 909 boutiques considering the Aira range. Who knows! I have to say I really wonder what the idea of the boutique was - they seem very much geared, on retrospect of buying, towards young people grouping up each controlling 1 boutique (it's kinda impossible to control 2 at a time live to the full degree). That being said although my JD-XA is my workhorse powerhouse I spend more time messing around with the boutiques - I think the mini size of them is kinda cute and appealing for tweakers.

As for other brands though Korg already have their Boutiques - the volcas. But to make a bigger synth into a boutique - MS-20? Doubt you could fit all the CC inputs on it though! Ultimately I would like to see an open source boutique - not sure if everyone here knows that the insides of these things are all identical - same main board, so clearly the Analogue Circuit Modelling can be used to mimic anything to create ANY noise! Oooooohhh.... if only.
phm78

Re: Could other manufacturers products be "Boutiqued" by Rol

Post by phm78 »

My Hope is that they do the SH-101 and D50

The Waldorf Blofeld is another synthesizer in Boutique format.

enotide

Post by enotide »

If they do a TR-08, hopefully all of the Sounds will be available to program simultaneously (unlike the TR-8)
Bodde

Post by Bodde »

enotide wrote:My Hope is that they do the MC-202, and SH-101 next as well.
That would be great! I think one day a a boutique version of the SH-101 will come since it is such a Roland classic. I expect a boutique 808 will also come. After all we also have the 909 now and the 808 is even more classic than the 909. Although I don't see the need to buy either a 808 or 909 boutique since all these sounds and more are already in the TR-8.

No way Roland is ever going to produce replicas of other manufacturers. Besides that they don't want it it is probably not legal any way. And besides that other companies like Korg and Yamaha are making replicas of their own classic machines already.
iixorb

Post by iixorb »

Bodde wrote:No way Roland is ever going to produce replicas of other manufacturers. Besides that they don't want it it is probably not legal any way. And besides that other companies like Korg and Yamaha are making replicas of their own classic machines already.

Well, Korg hapilly took some visual influence from the TB303 with their Volca Bass, and the 808 with the Volca Beats....oh and Yamaha's DX7 with the Volca FM :-)
I know these are all significantly different but there are obvious 'nods' to the originals in all these Volcas.

Indeed I doubt any Korg or Yamaha legacy product would be recreated by Roland but maybe a Linn Drum or DMX could one day resurface as a Boutique (under license from the original manufacturers). So when Roland run out of their own classic stuff to recreate, that would be a great direction to go ...!
Tom_1970

Post by Tom_1970 »

I don't think it's gonna happen, but the 'Boutique' idea is very nice I think.
Other manufacturers have similar/comparable products. The Volca's are already mentioned, but the Refaces also have a boutique-ish character.

I love the Reface DX.
Very good sounding with some extras and an the best minikeys keybed I know.
I would love to see a real CS version of that.

I have the JP-08 and TB-03 and love them both.
The JP isn't really necessary since I have the System-8, but it's mobility and cuteness makes that I keep it.
As for other Boutiques, I think a D-50 and something patchable (system-100) would be nice.