JD-Xi and Boutiques - too similar or complimentary?

Forum for boutique synths
XpanderDude

JD-Xi and Boutiques - too similar or complimentary?

Post by XpanderDude »

Anyone have opinions on this? Looking to add another poly part to my JD-Xi, but didn't know if there would be any sonic difference between the ACB technology and supernatural synth technology.
apauw

Re: JD-Xi and Boutiques - too similar or complimentary?

Post by apauw »

If it is polyphony you're after, then there is no question, the JD-XI has plenty, while the Boutiques have only 4 (or 6 in case of the VP-03).

I you're going for the sounds (i.e. Juno 106) and tweakability, then the Boutique wins hands down (in my opinion) as it is so much easier to tweak, all parameters are there in front of you (well, nearly).

The sounds on the JD-XI are good, but there are a few lemons. The one which to me is obvious is the VP-330 sound. It's the sound of the human voice, when you play through the octaves on the JD-XI you clearly hear switching to different samples, which is quite ugly.

As for the sonic difference, I think they both sound good. As long as you don't have to dive down in all the menus on the JD-XI and are happy with the sounds, then you got yourself plenty of polyphony.

Just my two cents,
Albert
XpanderDude

Re: JD-Xi and Boutiques - too similar or complimentary?

Post by XpanderDude »

Thanks for the insight. I currently use the editor with the JD-Xi, but a little more tweak-ability would be good. I am thinking that a JU 06 and JDXI combo would be pretty sweet.

apauw wrote:If it is polyphony you're after, then there is no question, the JD-XI has plenty, while the Boutiques have only 4 (or 6 in case of the VP-03).

I you're going for the sounds (i.e. Juno 106) and tweakability, then the Boutique wins hands down (in my opinion) as it is so much easier to tweak, all parameters are there in front of you (well, nearly).

The sounds on the JD-XI are good, but there are a few lemons. The one which to me is obvious is the VP-330 sound. It's the sound of the human voice, when you play through the octaves on the JD-XI you clearly hear switching to different samples, which is quite ugly.

As for the sonic difference, I think they both sound good. As long as you don't have to dive down in all the menus on the JD-XI and are happy with the sounds, then you got yourself plenty of polyphony.

Just my two cents,
Albert