TB-03 SOUND

Forum for boutique synths
nk303

TB-03 SOUND

Post by nk303 »

anyone find the overdrive bad like start turning it up sound is dodgy then more it goes up sounds hallow?
i added my distortion pedal sounded good then my overdrive pedal even better. ill stick to pedals got it last friday haven't really got time to use it much but seems good so far one thing want to ask is how do u get all notes down up and acc slide work same time i havant even read manual yet i use to have original one.
iixorb

Re: TB-03 SOUND

Post by iixorb »

Hi,

Yes, the built-in distortion is not great; for me, it's too scratchy / unclean and not in a good way (have you found all 3 distortion 'tones' yet?)

The two delay options aren't great either, even when sync'd to the tempo.

The reverb is ok though.

But the sound without the questionable built-in FX is great, and I am also a former TB303 owner. I too have been experimenting with putting the TB-03 through an external distortion pedal, and also through NI Guitar Rig and the results are really impressive ! All this debate about whether it sounds like a real 303 is somewhat irrelevant when you put it through decent distortion !! I'll probably put up a quick demo at the weekend.

I too have found the programming method, even in 'ORG' (original) mode not to be exactly how I remember programming my 303. I recall that slides / accents and up/down octaves could be programmed at will by scrolling through each of the (typically) 16 steps and pressing slide/accent up/down buttons as required.
On the TB03 it seems you have to hold down 'TAP' on any given step whilst selecting the accent or slide. You can't seem to change the up/down octave though when scrolling through steps and I am sure you could on the 303. However the up/down octave can be selected when you press a note. Perhaps my recollection is incorrect by the 'org' mode doesn't seem the same as the TB-303.
nk303

Post by nk303 »

yeah the original way off programming is not same. also the accent i dont think its the best too. yep i tried the 3 distortions not good. ill think ill return it and gonna get avalon bassline they are wicked and alot more creative way more fun iv all ready have one on the way mmmmmmmmmmmm a second one hell yeah look at all those extra features. :)
Bodde

Post by Bodde »

I have a TB-03 coming this weekend. Very curious.
Yes, I have read bad things about the effect section. I have also read that the delay is very hard to get in sync with the rhythm of the bassline (?). It is pretty useless if you can't get a delay in sync. Hope this will get updated in a future FW. Also there is no mix control to set the volume of the repeats (?) which is a shame. Every delay needs that. I have a TR-8 and I find the reverb and delay not so great either. Although I have some uses for it. But It can't compete with other delay and reverb pedals. I have plenty of effects gear so it is no show stopper but it would be great if Roland would have better effects. Or a least an easy syncable delay with a mix control.
nk303 wrote: ill think ill return it and gonna get avalon bassline they are wicked and alot more creative way more fun iv all ready have one on the way mmmmmmmmmmmm a second one hell yeah look at all those extra features. :)
Yes but the Avalon is more than two times the price of a TB-03.
nk303

Post by nk303 »

yes they are but well worth it. it like this my first synth i got for €350 new everywhere else was 500 so i sold it same price :) why did i sell because limited stared to make the same sound or simpler over and over so got 3 months out off it ran out off ideas just too limited . so got odd cheap synth after that no joy returned them buying cheap synth are waste off time and money. even if u are beginner go for big boys toys pick one that is not limited. like iv ordered arturia matrixbrute . avalon seems to have load off bite. it also depend your use for it. and you would be better off get mode machines xoxbox mk3 €500 check it out on youtube id say return tb 03 and get xoxbox.
Bodde

Post by Bodde »

Can the tb03 also do patterns of 5 or 7 notes (or any other length or steps)? Or can it only do 16 steps?
iixorb

Post by iixorb »

Bodde wrote:Can the tb03 also do patterns of 5 or 7 notes (or any other length or steps)? Or can it only do 16 steps?

Hi,

Yes it can (or any other variation up to 16). When in 'write' mode, press and hold the Time Mode button (the one above Slide) and then turn the Value knob from 16 to the number of steps that you want the pattern to have.
Bodde

Post by Bodde »

Ok great! Thanks a lot!
nk303

Post by nk303 »

well have to the avalon bassline kickass by far its so good i ordered another one