Driver for OSX 10.6.8 for TB-03 (and other boutique synths)

Forum for boutique synths
Bodde

Driver for OSX 10.6.8 for TB-03 (and other boutique synths)

Post by Bodde »

The driver of the TB-03 (and maybe other boutique synths as well?) doesn't work on my Mac with OSX 10.6.8.
Now I can't use the TB-03 on my computer. Is there any chance that Roland will also provide a driver for older systems? Don't want to update my operating system just for the TB-03.

How can I contact Roland to ask this?
cloudburst

Re: Driver for OSX 10.6.8 for TB-03 (and other boutique synt

Post by cloudburst »

Bodde wrote:The driver of the TB-03 (and maybe other boutique synths as well?) doesn't work on my Mac with OSX 10.6.8.
Now I can't use the TB-03 on my computer. Is there any chance that Roland will also provide a driver for older systems? Don't want to update my operating system just for the TB-03.

How can I contact Roland to ask this?
I think you probably already suspect the answer to this.

Your operating system is from 2009. Your Roland Boutique, whilst producing retro sounds, is from 2016.

Roland will, like all software developers, weigh up the cost of regression testing against the benefit.

In this case, they perhaps didn't even need to get out the pencils and paper and explicitly do the maths as you are likely in a very small group of users. A "corner case" so to speak.

Depending upon the statistic you believe, OSX usage is about 20% of all desktop operating systems. Of that 20%, only a very small percentage of users will still be using Snow Leopard which is now 7 years old (a very long time in the world of computing). And of that small group of users, only a handful will have bought a TB-03 or any other Boutique. And of those users, only some will interface the device to their Mac.

There are loads more reasons to upgrade your system. Security is an obvious one, if your system goes anywhere near the Internet. Perhaps give the upgrade approach some thought. If you don't upgrade, then these situations are only going to get more frequent for you.

CB
Bodde

Post by Bodde »

haha...yes, you are right! Probably have to upgrade my system in the near future. But I am postponing it....
Never had the real the need to upgrade until now. Everything thing is running fine now and I don't want to risque having to install all my software again. If it ain't broke don't fix it was my rule...haha

For Cubase LE7 I had one free install from Steinberger. Not sure if I can still use this after upgrading to Mavericks. Also not sure if I have to reinstall all my other software after an upgrade.
cloudburst

Post by cloudburst »

Upgrading OSX does not mandate re-install of other software.

However, of course for compatibility reasons, certain software products may require investigation as a newer version might sometimes be required, or in the worst case for an older application which has already been sunsetted, a replacement might need to be sought.

But to your biggest concern, none of my own OSX upgrades have required any reinstallation of other apps.

CB
Bodde

Post by Bodde »

ok thanks! will try to update soon then I guess. meanwhile I can use it on my laptop. I had a lot of fun with the TB-03 today! will post a review tomorrow or so.

The TR-8 does have a driver for 10.6.8 by the way.....