TB-03 computer noise through USB connection

Forum for boutique synths
S U P E R T R O L L

TB-03 computer noise through USB connection

Post by S U P E R T R O L L »

I notice very intense USB noise while connected to my macbook pro via the audio output port of the TB-03.
When not connected to USB it is all quiet as it should.

The only solution I found is to use batteries and an external midi interface. But I don´t want to change batteries all the time.

Is there a workaround?
Bodde

Re: TB-03 computer noise through USB connection

Post by Bodde »

Yes I noticed this pretty loud noise/hum too when recording from the audio out of the TB-03 to my soundcard into Cubase. This noise is 'only' there if you connect the TB-03 USB to your computer to give it power. Not when you use batteries as you say.

My work around is to use a USB adapter (connect to another power source than your computer). You can use the charger from your iPhone or iPad for that.

Are more people having these noise/usb problems? I think it is a hardware problem and hope Roland addresses this.

How can we contact Roland about this?
xiotex

Post by xiotex »

Sounds like a ground problem - which is why you are seeing the problem go away by plugging into a wall charger.
Bodde

Post by Bodde »

xiotex wrote:Sounds like a ground problem - which is why you are seeing the problem go away by plugging into a wall charger.
I did some more testing. When connecting the TB-03 to my laptop (Macbook) I don't have the noise. So I guess that means it is not a cable issue but a grounding issue in combination with my iMac. So I am confused and not sure what to do now.

to sum up:
-connected to my laptop: no noise
-connected to an external adapter: no noise
-connected to my iMac: noise!

I am using the same cables in all scenarios. Any others users have that problem (maybe in combination with an iMac)? Any suggestions for solutions?
joew

Post by joew »

Just registered to say I also have this problem. Have tweeted Roland, add your voice if you are on twitter.

https://twitter.com/Joe__Walch/status/8 ... 9513567235
Bluesdog

Post by Bluesdog »

Has Roland come up with a solution for this annoying issue?
mimoid

Post by mimoid »

Bluesdog wrote:Has Roland come up with a solution for this annoying issue?
No, and I doubt they ever will. For anything serious, you really should be using external power and 5-pin MIDI.
RickJP909

Post by RickJP909 »

Hi Guys.

I decided to start another thread, to make this more public and generic to the whole Boutique range because this seems to be a common issue across most if not all the units.

The new thread is here: viewtopic.php?f=59&t=53936

Cheers! :-)
jack47

Post by jack47 »

Same issue here, so you say it is better to connect it via midi rather than USB? I guess I will need a better sound interface...

I would like an answer from Roland representatives..