TR-09 to MX-1: Split 4 09 USB Channels TO MX-1 USB 1-4?

Forum for boutique synths
SophieLazar

TR-09 to MX-1: Split 4 09 USB Channels TO MX-1 USB 1-4?

Post by SophieLazar »

(I'm new here, (hello) and i have had a look back through the threads to see if anyone asked this so if it was addressed under another thread, please point me that way?)

Is this redundant to ask, since the Update in 1.04 contained mute settings for the tr-09?
Because if one could send USB 1-4 routed to MX-1 USB 1-4,
one could:
1. get some tr-8-like action with the faders, and
2. use the mutes on the MX-1, &,
3. get additional outboard processing (compression) on only kick and snare without a laptop using the AUX of the MX-1.

Has anyone found this in the documentation or a way to assign it, Ive read that not all USB's are created equal, perhaps if get another higher end USB it does do it, but its not because my USB is not up to it?

Does it makes sense? It does to me, I feel like this would be an apparent missing functionality, because for example in my set up now, the four 1/4 inch input on the MX-1 are bringing in assigned parts of the arturia drumbrute, and would be nice to use the faders & the MX-1 on the other side with the -09 the same way...

Using both the filter on the drumbrute and the filter on the MX-1 together with both drum machines is very dynamic in making it sound like two tech house-y tracks are mixing into eachother, so if you could separate the 09 tracks coming in, using the MFX button selection on individual channels would take it one step further.

Of course you can just run the tr-09 through the laptop and assign them through the ableton outs to go out separately to the 4 channels on the MX-1, which I'm about to do, but I'm saying also since I'm driving the drumbrute with outboard compression, the point would be to ditch the laptop live and use the aux outboard compression to sort of try blending or "glueing" the separate freqs/parts of the drumbrute and the 09 together live... ?
Myrk-

Re: TR-09 to MX-1: Split 4 09 USB Channels TO MX-1 USB 1-4?

Post by Myrk- »

Good on you for actually searching the forum first! So many first posts are repeats of questions asked on a weekly basis haha!

Ok so you want to split the TR-09 output up into 4 different signal paths to use 4 faders for it?

Are you saying you don't know how, you do know how, or what? I'm quite confused by what your actual question is.

I'm going to assume you are asking if it is possible? No. TR-09 only has 2 outputs (like all the boutiques) which can't be assigned different drums from my knowledge. This means the output of the TR-09 is just 1 blended noise. I can't think of any way to do what you want unless you bought 4 TR-09's and sent different chunks of the midi to each, so 1 dedicated to bass, 1 to snare, etc. If you want more functionality then don't rely on a boutique lol... they are only little toys that are kinda cute, not a seriously replacement for the original (apart from JX-03 as it actually has the PG-200 built into it! W00p!).

Sounds like it's time for you to get a TR-8, or rely on the drumbrute - has a better sequencer anyway, and the randomiser and probability are probably the best inventions since someone put faders on a drum machine! For this exact reason I haven't sold my redundant Beatstep Pro - sometimes I like to chain it before the TR-8 and use it as the sequencer instead of it's shitilific built in nonsense.

But it seems many people are now seeking the path of hardware only with no computers... they are everywhere already, last place I want another computer is when I'm playing keys or pressing more buttons lol. Unfortunately there aren't many companies that are really focusing on this element of play - everyone assumes you'll have a laptop somewhere in the rig (I don't, but it's not cheap using only hardware to do all the functions - a laptop really does the work of 1000 pieces of gear!).
A82_Music

Post by A82_Music »

Actually you can assign different sounds either to Analogue (Stereo) out L and R to turn them into mono outputs and route up to 4 different channels via the USB audio setting. Instructions are bottom right on the second page of the manual (System Settings) https://static.roland.com/assets/media/ ... _e02_W.pdf
kae

Post by kae »

A82_Music wrote:Actually you can assign different sounds either to Analogue (Stereo) out L and R to turn them into mono outputs and route up to 4 different channels via the USB audio setting. Instructions are bottom right on the second page of the manual (System Settings) https://static.roland.com/assets/media/ ... _e02_W.pdf
So does that mean you can use analogue out for kick (L) and clap/snare (R) and the rest through USB into the MX-1?