JX-03 to JP-08 MIDI Problem with Memory

Forum for boutique synths
DWareham02

JX-03 to JP-08 MIDI Problem with Memory

Post by DWareham02 »

I have a problem that when I change a Memory Preset on my JX-03 the selected memory on my JP-08 will also change.

Here's how they are linked on MIDI.

JD-XA OUT goes to JX-03 IN
JX-03 OUT goes to JP-08 IN

All of my audio outputs go to a mixer that blends them together before the final amplifier/speaker system.

When I play the JD-XA keyboard, the selected memory positions will play from the 03 and 08 also along with the JD-XA. This is okay.

When I play from the Boutique keyboard, only the 03 and 08 will play with sound together. That's okay too.

Now, when I change from a memory positIon on the JX-03; the selected memory preset on the JP-08 will also change. BUT.... I don't want the JP-08 selected to memory to change.

Is there a way to keep these separate from the memory interaction, but yet have the Boutique keyboard still play both and the JD-XA to play both.

I'm MIDI dumb, so I need some help with this. I'd appreciate any guidance or solution.

Thanks
rich_h

Re: JX-03 to JP-08 MIDI Problem with Memory

Post by rich_h »

This is down to the way the MIDI is implemented on the Boutiques. The MIDI Outs are also MIDI Thru so anything received on the first is echoed to your second. If they are both on the same MIDI channel then both will play together.

However, any MIDI generated by the Boutiques is also sent to the MIDI out, hence when you change the program on the first it sends a program change on its MIDI channel to the out. If the connected synth is on the same MIDI channel (as it will be if you haven't changed anything) then it will respond to the program change message, which is what you are seeing.

What you will need to do is to set the Boutiques' MIDI channels to be different. This will mean that if you wish to play them in unison, you will have to set up your controlling device to send MIDI notes on both channels.
Saxifraga

Post by Saxifraga »

If you don't want to have the jx03 and jp-08 to change sounds, you could decactivate the sending of 'program change' messages on your JD-XA. The JD-XA should have a midi filter settings page where you can decide wich midi settings and controllers are sent and recognized. Like everything else, midi has to be learned. ;)
And it's a bit different for every instrument. :(
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

On the JD-XA it transmits on channels 1-8 for the default mode. In midi control it defaults to output 9-16. Worth noting that for when you assign your midi numbers on your boutiques as you can have many different ways to program the sounds. As for the JP changing sounds it's because the channel it's set to is also being used by the XA, and has a program change assigned to it. If you use channels 9-16 you'll get your own area for playing with the boutiques (including the XAs longer sequencer). However a warning here is that it's easy to max out the XA sequencer if you are triggering loads of stuff in a complex manner with CC control changes on mod wheel etc in the sequences.

Welcome to the fun of midi routing! haha :D