Paramter Pickup mode?

Forum for boutique synths
darkstar679

Paramter Pickup mode?

Post by darkstar679 »

is there a pickup mode available, so that the sound is not jumping if you move a fader or a knob?

if not....how is the best way to tell roland to implment one?
funktree

Re: Paramter Pickup mode?

Post by funktree »

No pickup mode, Let me know if you want to do a petition for Roland. I have a few pieces of Roland gear that would need some urgent tweak(s) in existing firmware...

Here is how I deal with missing Pickup mode. There are only like 2-5 knobs on boutiques(depend which one) that would introduce a jump to sound; VCA level, VCF cutoff , Modulation ... I’ve learned to ESTIMATE where the knob is and turn fast to that point.
Same with sliders. The worst case Is if you meet "half way position" to the saved value so the jump will not be so audible. And yes you cannot do this if you do slow music or Boutique is your lead voice.

Here are a few examples for sliders (the same applies for knobs and to all 3 boutiques) :

* Always turn the "VCF cutoff” fast down then slowly go up, The same with VCA level.
* The VCF ENV Mod is harder b/c you might not know which slope the ENV is in on current preset. So first I turn down the VCF Cutoff a bit and then slowly up with VCF-ENV-MOD.
* Before changing LFO settings turn VCF-LFO down
* If you need to change oscillator settings turn the other oscillator level up. this “partially” works on sync mode where your voice degrades for a moment but then you tune sync mode or semitones on second oscillator.

I know it is not easy to live without the pickup mode. But better than wait if Roland in their busy "new product production schedule" decides to TUNE up FIRMWARE of these great small machines. For me as you might know “Velocity to VCF cutoff" parameter is THE highest deal. Then synced LFOs and improved sequencer (poly & more time divisions, arp like function) would be my other things on the list for new firmware.
darkstar679

Re: Paramter Pickup mode?

Post by darkstar679 »

I've wrote them.
They answered they will send it to Japan as a suggestion.
We'll see.

https://soundcloud.com/darkstar679/jp-08-test-2