boutique sh on 10 june

Forum for boutique synths
PugFace

Re: boutique sh on 10 june

Post by PugFace »

yes spot on, thanks. I saw the RD on the roland site. after i put my comment in. Its a shame that the japs dont do what behringer do and give hints. I quite like the B approach to releases. It works too as i wont rush and buy another synth now until i see what Behringer bring out. I am foaming at the mouth for the D. I was thinking of getting the boutique JX but i am not because of the D release.
iixorb

Post by iixorb »

PugFace wrote:yes spot on, thanks. I saw the RD on the roland site. after i put my comment in. Its a shame that the japs dont do what behringer do and give hints. I quite like the B approach to releases. It works too as i wont rush and buy another synth now until i see what Behringer bring out. I am foaming at the mouth for the D. I was thinking of getting the boutique JX but i am not because of the D release.

By 'D' do you mean D-50? In my opinion, I don't think Roland will release a D-50 Boutique - at least at this stage.

I could be wrong, but I think their philosophy behind the Boutique range is to re-release units that have high desirability but were originally sold in relatively small numbers.

The D-50 sold in droves and are still quite easy to get hold of for a few hundred £€$.

I'm holding out for a TR-08 later this year ( seems like an obvious unit to release at some point). Got my 'readies' ready for that one :-)
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

Why buy a D-50 boutique when the real D-50s are going for so cheap and would do more than the boutique would offer?
That really does not make sense.
Something else maybe even a less feature laden like a take on the Jupiter-4 would be more interesting and in line with what they would be doing. No I do not want a Jupiter-4 boutique either, just an example.
mimoid

Post by mimoid »

Synthtron wrote:Why buy a D-50 boutique when the real D-50s are going for so cheap and would do more than the boutique would offer?
Something else maybe even a less feature laden like a take on the Jupiter-4 would be more interesting and in line with what they would be doing. No I do not want a Jupiter-4 boutique either, just an example.
Existing D-50's might be pretty shot, with defective displays, broken joysticks and keybed issues. They are after all pretty old. Also a lot of people simply don't have space for another full size keyboard. My personal interest in the Boutique version is TBH pretty lukewarm. I am holding off for the virtual version in the Roland Cloud (not the sampled Anthology version, but the real Legendary emulation).
talos

Post by talos »

iixorb wrote:
PugFace wrote:yes spot on, thanks. I saw the RD on the roland site. after i put my comment in. Its a shame that the japs dont do what behringer do and give hints. I quite like the B approach to releases. It works too as i wont rush and buy another synth now until i see what Behringer bring out. I am foaming at the mouth for the D. I was thinking of getting the boutique JX but i am not because of the D release.

By 'D' do you mean D-50? In my opinion, I don't think Roland will release a D-50 Boutique - at least at this stage.

I could be wrong, but I think their philosophy behind the Boutique range is to re-release units that have high desirability but were originally sold in relatively small numbers.

The D-50 sold in droves and are still quite easy to get hold of for a few hundred £€$.

I'm holding out for a TR-08 later this year ( seems like an obvious unit to release at some point). Got my 'readies' ready for that one :-)
I think he means the Behringer Model D
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

mimoid wrote:
Synthtron wrote:Why buy a D-50 boutique when the real D-50s are going for so cheap and would do more than the boutique would offer?
Existing D-50's might be pretty shot, with defective displays, broken joysticks and keybed issues. They are after all pretty old. Also a lot of people simply don't have space for another full size keyboard. My personal interest in the Boutique version is TBH pretty lukewarm. I am holding off for the virtual version in the Roland Cloud (not the sampled Anthology version, but the real Legendary emulation).
A discriminating buyer can get one in very good to excellent condition. I got one fairly cheap and they still go for the about the same price of $500. It is very nice with everything is working and the buttons work effortlessly on the first push. THe D-50 is well built and the keys feel nice and have aftertouch Roland's latest synth offerings after the Jupiter-80/50 are built with mainly plastic cases and lack what I would consider a high quality feeling keyboard. I had the D-50 card for my V-Synth but I sold it. My thinking was I would like to have the actual 80's synth. With the boutique range, yes you get a small foot print BUT that is too much of a sacrifice IMHO when they offer way too limited polyphony and a lack of performance controls. I bet IF Roland was to make a boutique D-50 it would lack the polyphony, lack the Joystick lack the number of patches and storage memory, and what of the LCD? Roland will chop that down too. I just do not think the D-50 is something that fits the boutique line. They seem to be focusing on recreating pre-1987 analog synths. We will see what they will have to offer.

I could see them have something for the cloud. THat is another topic though because Personally I am not feeling the cloud subscription thing.
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

But the boutiques are modules... performance controls shouldn't be criticized on the device, more so the keyboard unit which is overpriced and doesn't add much at all. Best mini controller you can get to control 1 (or even 2) boutiques on the fly is the Keystep pro as it has an arp and a 64 step sequencer (though it's programmed in a linear way, kinda awkward)!

Maybe I'll focus some attention now I've done the FA faceplate project on designing a mini controller unit for these boutiques... with a keybed, arp, and a few cc programmable pots/sliders to allow people to emulate LFO control and such. Would be good if Roland did it, but I can't see that happening.
cloudburst

Post by cloudburst »

SE-02 analogue synth - first of new "Boutique Designer Series".
https://www.roland.com/uk/products/se-02/

CB
Manic

Post by Manic »

So you've been wrong about the date, but it looks like it is coming indeed ;)