TB-03 questions

Forum for boutique synths
TranceTip

TB-03 questions

Post by TranceTip »

I am using a TB-03 with firmware 1.04 in MIDI mode. Remote-controlling it via MIDI in realtime, e.g. with SoundHelix, works fine. I have checked the documentation and the MIDI implementation chart, and I have some questions:

1. It seems like I cannot control the volume of the TB-03 via MIDI. The note velocity seems only to be used for distinguishing between accented (100-127) and non-accented (1-99) notes, but it does not change the volume. Also, there seems to be no overall volume control. Is that true or did I overlook something?

2. Slides seem to be possible only by setting a specific MIDI controller (102), but no by sending the NOTE_ON for the next note before the NOTE_OFF of the currrent note. I find this pretty annoying, since most synths implement slides using the latter, not the former method. Is it possible to change this somehow?

3. What exactly is the difference between synced and unsynced delay? My assumption was that synced delay adapts to the playback speed and that instead of offering a continuos delay time there is a discrete delay time, e.g. like a delay time of 1/16, 2/16, 3/16, ... note. Is that really the case? It doesn't look like it.

4. When I record the TB-03 USB audio signal via Audacity under Windows, the volume level is fairly low (note: the USB volume is independent of the volume control on the backside of the TB-03). Is that normal? How can that be changed?

5. Would the TB-03 hardware be able to process several independent MIDI channels in parallel (given that the firmware supports it)? It would be cool to be able to have several independent TB-03 voices, just like having several TB-03s.

6. Besides the official firmware, is there some unofficial, tweaked firmware available with additional features/improvements?

7. The firmware 1.04 is quite a number of months old now. Do you know of any planned firmware update?
HaveIt

Re: TB-03 questions

Post by HaveIt »

1. It seems like I cannot control the volume of the TB-03 via MIDI.
This is normal. It's a x0x step sequencer, it doesn't have individual velocity per step.

2. Slides seem to be possible only by setting a specific MIDI controller (102)
This is correct. TBH I think you are missing out a lot by not using the built in sequencer specifically for acid lines.

3. What exactly is the difference between synced and unsynced delay?
The delay is all but useless I changed it to reverb and never looked back

BF