SE-02 and new "Boutique Designer Series"

Forum for boutique synths
cloudburst

SE-02 and new "Boutique Designer Series"

Post by cloudburst »

SE-02 analogue synth - first of new "Boutique Designer Series".
https://www.roland.com/uk/products/se-02/

CB
mimoid

Re: SE-02 and new "Boutique Designer Series"

Post by mimoid »

I just noticed it too - wow, I did not see that coming! A true 3-VCO analog...? Minimoog in a Boutique format? That' a firm purchase (if the price is not totally messed up here in Europe).
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

Yoink! I'll buy one them as soon as they are available... haha!

Interesting subtleties to note in the videos if you pay close attention. The japanese Roland main developer says "this is the first of the analogue synthesizers in boutique form", so we know there will be more to come!

Have to say the FA-07 being the other synth was unexpected, but close to my callout of it most likely being a workstation. ;)
MacTyros

Post by MacTyros »

Myrk- wrote:Yoink! I'll buy one them as soon as they are available... haha!

Interesting subtleties to note in the videos if you pay close attention. The japanese Roland main developer says "this is the first of the analogue synthesizers in boutique form", so we know there will be more to come!

Have to say the FA-07 being the other synth was unexpected, but close to my callout of it most likely being a workstation. ;)
Sadly Roland releasing the FA07 says more about Rolands ideas of future workstations..

Seems the money indeed is in these little jewels.. Setting up the RD200 with a wall of Boutiques behind it could be fun.. even more if they make a system 8 rack...
dpbel

Post by dpbel »

499.00 usd....Big price point vs 100-150.00 from other boutiques. May certainly be worth it. A-01 discontinued
andyr1960

Post by andyr1960 »

509.00 here in the UK (Strange price!) - Once again, we get taken for a ride with our dreadful exchange rates.

But if it's a choice between the SE-02 and Behringer's Model D, I'd much rather pay the extra for more functions and patch memory.
iixorb

Post by iixorb »

Good to see they can now use the whole surface area for knobs and switches - On all the previous boutiques, the left hand side appeared to be restricted by the batteries underneath, so we only had ribbon sliders or ( on the TB03 and TR09) a few buttons.
Makes the layout of a 'TR08' more possible :-)
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

dpbel wrote:499.00 usd....Big price point vs 100-150.00 from other boutiques. May certainly be worth it. A-01 discontinued
But the other boutiques are are actually 299.00 to 399.00 usd
mimoid

Post by mimoid »

dpbel wrote:499.00 usd....Big price point vs 100-150.00 from other boutiques. May certainly be worth it. A-01 discontinued
SE-02 price has been announced in Sweden: 680 USD. That's a pretty hefty premium for the pleasure of living in Europe.
apauw

Post by apauw »

Please note that US prices usually are ex VAT. I expect that to make up for the price difference
marctronixx

The doctor ordered this...

Post by marctronixx »

I was looking to find something "modular" -esque that had CV so i could dabble in CV/modular with the MPC X (once that ships).

I was looking at the system 500m and the moog mother thingy when BOOM I saw this by accident on YouTube yesterday.

So now my everyday bag (udg producer bag) i carry everywhere i go will have an akai mpk225, mpc live, headphones, audiofuse, ipad 12.9 and assorted other bits.

This will be nice and will fit the bill. It begs to be played and looks to spark creativity. The SE guys looked genuinely happy that a large corporation like Roland is collaborating with them. Their gear over the years have been solid, as well as their reputation.

Sweetwater mentioned August for this. Preorder has been placed. Patiently camping outside the door.. ;)
anotherscott

Post by anotherscott »

apauw wrote:Please note that US prices usually are ex VAT.
Always. US does not have a VAT. (Though many of the individual states have a sales tax, some approaching 10%.)
cello

Post by cello »

Just back from trying out the SE-02 in Glasgow. Amazingly thick, rich and powerful sounds. Delay (digital) acts a lot like space echo stuff. Feedback knob does amazing things! Sturdy build and knobs easily used despite Boutique size. Great sequencer (all the features of the System-8 one including recording knob movement). Pre-ordered :) Delivery September-ish.
apauw

Post by apauw »

Thanks cello,

always good to hear someone's opinion instead of a sales pitch!

Luckily they dumped the two slide pads as on the original Boutiques, I find them not very precise anyway. Skipping this gives more room for the proper knobs/sliders.

How as the total interface, intuitive?
cello

Post by cello »

Interface is really good - intuitive, yes. Simple button combinations control the sequencer (all labelled anyway). Knobs work really well - sensitive and accurate given small size. You can take this unit out of the box and be creating new sounds in 5mins or less.