Roland's journey into true Analog Boutiques.

Forum for boutique synths
iixorb

Roland's journey into true Analog Boutiques.

Post by iixorb »

.... Will we see yet another reissue of the TB-303, this time with analog circuitry ?

.... Will the TR-09 be accompanied by a 'TR-08' at some point, but this time purely analog like the TR-808?

.... Will current analog circuitry be more prone to failure than current digital circuitry in ~30 years from now?

Thoughts for debate and discussion ! :-)
rsaintjohn

Re: Roland's journey into true Analog Boutiques.

Post by rsaintjohn »

Posted a longer answer earlier, then the forum crashed. Short version:

- Can't imagine that if they release a TR-08, it would be analog. Too much original circuitry would need to be recreated, much more efficient and cost-effective to use ACB
- They'll probably take a "wait and see" attitude before committing to more analog Boutiques. At the same time, these things have a long lead time, so they've probably already engaged with possible partners like Studio Electronics.
- There's some really imaginative and cost-effective stuff happening in the modular world (though not all of it analog), and I would guess Roland might be looking there for ideas and partners for the Designer Series. But it may not be all analog synths. It could be effects, or extraordinary sequencers.
- There's probably a limit to how many exciting variations of an analog monosynth they can justify, and the Boutique form factor, size and (what I suspect to be a) $500 price-tag barrier probably limits it from analog poly that would be at all interesting, let alone the recreation of a classic Roland
- OTOH, I'm still holding out hope for a Boutique take on a semi-modular system like the System 100, even if it was two separate modules that replicated the Model 101, 102, 103 and 104. Patch points, limited sequencer and effects. It wouldn't sound exactly like a System 100 (parts long gone), but it could be reminiscent of it in the same way the Malekko partnership produced a System 500 that was similar to the 100m and 700. A man can dream!
- But if they did want to create another true analog Boutique in this series, perhaps something that was a "hybrid" of a synth and a rhythm machine would be interesting. Not something you'd necessarily go to to tap notes, but more of a "noisebox" or drone machine, perhaps even with digital effects. Sequenced or even random. Something atmospheric like that could come off as very new and different in this field.

Whoops, that was supposed to be the short version. I'm copying this before I hit "Submit"!
dspange

Re: Roland's journey into true Analog Boutiques.

Post by dspange »

I am hoping for a new TR-08 boutique model released and possibly analog/acb model.

I know I would save thousands instead of purchasing an original TR-808 for $3-4000 !

Im keeping my fingers crossed because its almost 808 day in less than 15days.

But it always seems the originals 80's roland models are always going to be better :)