Help with firmware updating on mac?

Forum for boutique synths
OneVolt

Help with firmware updating on mac?

Post by OneVolt »

Hey I've been a lurker here for a while, this is my first post, unfortunately it's for a bit of advice and some questions.

I'm trying to update my (excellent!) JX-03 on my mac (running 10.10.5) and I'm not seeing my JX-03 popping up as a drive on my desktop, I've gone into my desktop and finder settings but to no avail. It plays plays in Ableton fine etc.

Where would I find this drive or folder to drag the update file into? I've searched my system and watched a tutorial where a guy updates this very synth but I'm just not having it pop-up on my desktop.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated, I've searched for this and have not really seen any answers.

Thanks!
rsaintjohn

Re: Help with firmware updating on mac?

Post by rsaintjohn »

Are you certain you are actually following the instructions completely, as outlined on the download page? Sounds to me like you're skipping step #2.

https://www.roland.com/global/support/b ... e3a9e472f/

Getting the update file
Please open/extract the downloaded "boutique_sys_111.zip" file on your computer to get the update file in the "boutique_sys_111" folder.

Procedure for the update
Caution
You must not rename the extracted file.
Never turn off the JX-03's power while the update is in progress. Otherwise the system program or the JX-03 itself may be destroyed.

Please install the extracted system program file into your JX-03 according to the following procedure.

1. Connect the computer to the JX-03's USB port by a USB cable.
2. Hold down Pad [ MANUAL ] and switch on the power.
3. Open the "JX-03" drive folder in your personal computer.
4. Copy BQ_UPD.BIN in the "boutique_sys_111" folder into the "JX-03" drive by dragging and dropping it.
* Do not copy the "boutique_sys_111" folder.
5. After copying the file is completed, remove the USB drive from the personal computer.
With Mac OS X
Drag the "JX-03" icon to the Trash icon in the Dock.
6. Press the Pad [ MANUAL ] button to start updating the file.
During the update, the [1] through [16] buttons indicate the progress.
When the [ MANUAL ] button lights up, the update is complete.
7. Turn the JX-03 power off.

If you can't get to Step 3, try a different USB cable
cloudburst

Re: Help with firmware updating on mac?

Post by cloudburst »

On the assumption that you're following the steps correctly as per the instructions and rsaintjohn's post above...one other thing to check:

On your mac, in the Finder preferences, have you ticked the option to display external drives on your desktop?

Just a thought.

CB