JP-08 "cross" poly-chain?

Forum for boutique synths
tomatoKetchup

JP-08 "cross" poly-chain?

Post by tomatoKetchup »

Hi everyone, here's [yet another] question regarding poly-chaining 2 JP-08.

Since the JP-08 handles 2 parts (Lower and Upper), I was wondering if, when poly-chaining 2 of these, you can have let's say the 1st one handling the Lower part and the 2nd the Upper part, by what I call "cross-poly-chaining" them so that the Midi OUT of each is connected to the midi IN of the other (and chain mode ON on each of them of course)?

That way, when selecting "lower" on JP08 A and "upper" on JP08 B, you have instant access to all controls from the 2 parts simultaneously? Is such a thing possible, has anyone tried?

Thanks!
rsaintjohn

Re: JP-08 "cross" poly-chain?

Post by rsaintjohn »

tomatoKetchup wrote:Hi everyone, here's [yet another] question regarding poly-chaining 2 JP-08.

Since the JP-08 handles 2 parts (Lower and Upper), I was wondering if, when poly-chaining 2 of these, you can have let's say the 1st one handling the Lower part and the 2nd the Upper part, by what I call "cross-poly-chaining" them so that the Midi OUT of each is connected to the midi IN of the other (and chain mode ON on each of them of course)?

That way, when selecting "lower" on JP08 A and "upper" on JP08 B, you have instant access to all controls from the 2 parts simultaneously? Is such a thing possible, has anyone tried?

Thanks!
I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. It seems to me that what you want to do is simply connect the two of them by MIDI, no chain mode, have them set with different tones, and play them from one keyboard. No "lower" or "upper" or chaining involved.

Chain mode is simply so that two JP-08s can share the same tone and parameters from the master unit, and have more voices for that tone. AFAIK, the controls of the second unit are disabled in order to do this.
tomatoKetchup

Post by tomatoKetchup »

No that's not what I meant.

I'll try to explain again: When you're in Dual Mode, you have 2 parts, UPPER and LOWER. Let say you want to modulate the cutoff of both parts at the same time. This is not possible with only one JP-08 module as you have to select if you are either on UPPER (UPPER/LOWER switch unlit) or LOWER (UPPER/LOWER switch lit) part. But If you have 2 JP-08 modules, one set to UPPER and the other to LOWER, then you have access simultaneously to the cutoff of both parts.

With that in mind, I wanted to know if, by cross-chaining the 2 JP-08 modules, changing parameters on both units allowed to control the 2 parts simultaneously without having to press the UPPER/LOWER switch to swap between parts.

By cross-chaining I mean:
- JP-08A MIDI IN to JP-08B MIDI OUT
- JP-08B MIDI IN to JP-08A MIDI OUT
- Both units set to chain mode

Hope that's a bit clearer. :)
tomatoKetchup

Post by tomatoKetchup »

Just after looking at the JP-08's MIDI implementation chart, and I found out the UPPER and LOWER part do not have different MIDI CC# for their parameters.

On my SH-201 I can simultaneously control the two parts using a external controller because each part respond to different CC# messages (i.e. LOWER part filter cutoff is CC#102 and UPPER part filter cutoff is CC#74).

So I suppose that answers my question.
tomatoKetchup

Post by tomatoKetchup »

Got hold of a second unit and I can definitely say cross-chaining is not possible as I creates MIDI data loop when playing notes and changing parameters.

Though I found a workaround for controlling both UPPER and LOWER part simultaneously, by using an external MIDI controller. MIDI CC# actually only affect the UPPER part, even when the LOWER part is selected on the unit. So with LOWER part selected, you can control its parameters on the unit, while controlling the UPPER part from the external MIDI controller.

Only problem is, MIDI CC# sent from the external controller are not passed "thru" to the 2nd unit. Too bad.