JX-03 Hidden Chorus Modes

Forum for boutique synths
YoUHatejefF

JX-03 Hidden Chorus Modes

Post by YoUHatejefF »

Hi all.
I'm a new member here having had my JX-03 for a few months now and still getting to grips with it.
I wanted to post about the hidden chorus modes this thing has as no one seems to mention anywhere. I'm not talking about the noise level function but the ability to switch between 3 subtlety different chorus types.

If you send CC#93 to it from an external controller you can change between them as follows:

CC#93 value 0: chorus off
CC#93 value 1: chorus 1 (the normal one!)
CC#93 value 2: chorus 2 ( a lush wide very Juno-sounding chorus and my favourite)
CC#93 value 3: chorus 3 ( a subtle but fast shimmer. Almost a vibrato )

I found it in the nice re-write of the manual someone online did recently. Can't remember who it was or what site unfortunately! I wasn't sure what they meant by "hidden chorus modes" and assumed it was the noise level function. Only when I tried it on a whim did I realise it was the 3 different choruses.

The jx-03 was originally bought to try to replicate some of the spacey, shimmering lushness of my old alpha Juno I had a few years back and was reasonably happy but the chorus wasn't quite there. With chorus 2 it now is!
Manic

Re: JX-03 Hidden Chorus Modes

Post by Manic »

Nice found!!
YoUHatejefF

Post by YoUHatejefF »

Hi,

I've put up a simple youtube video to highlight the differences.

https://youtu.be/gpFFZO56Y98

To make it easier for programming, I've made 2 simple default patches using the 2 alternate choruses and saved them. Means I have alternate chorus-enabled patches available for tweaking and saving without having to mess around with external CC commands.

Wonder what else might be hidden!
tomatoKetchup

Post by tomatoKetchup »

Hell, even the JP-08 has those 3 hidden choruses. It shows the internal software of the first 3 modules of the Roland boutique series (JP-08, JX-03, JU-06) share the same base.
funktree

Post by funktree »

great thanks!
RickJP909

Post by RickJP909 »

On the JP-08, I can confirm that this is in stereo out of the main analogue output so I'm really pleased about this - finally a Jupiter 8 in stereo!!! :-)
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

The re-manual came from a user on this forum! Problem with forums is the old posts die off into the distance, not the best place to archive information unless users do a search (always search before posting!

The chorus on the JP-08 and JX-03 is the Juno JU-06 chorus.