Aira TR-8 vs Boutique TR-08 + TR-09

Forum for boutique synths
Myrk-

Aira TR-8 vs Boutique TR-08 + TR-09

Post by Myrk- »

Name of the topic explains itself!

If we own the Aira TR-8, are the boutique TR-08 and TR-09 pointless, given the 08 and 09 use ACB modelling technology, and I assume the TR-8 is the same... so the 08 and 09 are just heavily limited versions of the TR-8, but with a speaker and running on batteries... right? The TR-8 includes (with the paid update) the 606, 707, 727, 808 and 909! Shame they didn't add in the 626 as that had a ride bell (but no matter I bought the old 626 unit to supplement the TR-8)!

Can anyone confirm this? I really, REALLY, wish Roland had a Q&A session to allow people to ask them questions - they are so cryptic and unusual with the devices they choose to make.
Bodde

Re: Aira TR-8 vs Boutique TR-08 + TR-09

Post by Bodde »

I still love my TR-8. From what I hear from youtube videos I am not that impressed by the sound of the new Boutique TR-08. Doesn't sound any better than the TR-8 to me (maybe the TR-8 sounds better...). Same goes for the TR-09. So if you already own the TR-8 I see no need to buy the Boutiques.
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

Funny thing is you can get a 2nd hand TR-8 for less than the cost of any singular boutique... Unless awkward power/line out and mobility is something you want, it seems the TR-8 is the clear winner!

(Btw, for those with a TR-8, little cheat not in any manuals - you can play as many patterns as you want in a row by holding down a pattern then pressing another - it will play through all the patterns between, so for instance press and hold pattern 2, then press 4, and you'll get pattern 2A, 2B, 3A, 3B, 4A and 4B, then it repeats. This solves any of the issues with patterns not being long enough which was one of the only major complaints).
iixorb

Post by iixorb »

I think the TR-8 represents better value for money in terns of features per buck - but the Boutiques are more nostalgic.

If you want practicality and need a solid performer for live / studio work, buy a TR-8...

However if you're more of a collector, then the TR-09 and TR-08 'might' be more desirable in 20 years from now and possibly 'might' fetch better prices in the second hand market. Having owned a real 303 in the past, I get more authenticity of 'feel' and 'user experience' with my TB-03 than I did with my Aira TB-3 even though on paper, the Aira is a better unit. I suspect the same could be true for anyone who owns both the Aira TR-8 and the Boutique drum machines.
RickJP909

Post by RickJP909 »

See here guys: http://www.roland.co.uk/blog/tr-09-vs-tr-8/

I'm interested to know because I've got my beady eye on a TR-8 and as others have said, it now represents excellent value for money given second-hand prices vs the Boutique range.

Also note from that chart how the TR-8 has more options over sound modifications when compared to the Boutiques.

Is that right though that the TR-8 doesn't have a Tone control for the Snare unlike the Boutiques?

One thing I wish Roland would do is produce a kit for the CR-78. That would seal the deal for me meaning the TR-8 would have 6 drum machines within!!! :-)
Bodde

Post by Bodde »

I think it is highly unlikely that Roland brings out a CR-78 kit (or any other expansion for that matter) for the TR-8. Seems like they have completely abandoned the product like they do with most products. I would be really surprised if there ever comes a new update or new expansion for the TR-8.
RickJP909

Post by RickJP909 »

I think you might be right but I hope you're not because the TR-8 is alleged to have 12 kit spaces of which only 5 are currently used so what a waste if no further kits get developed.

In which case, I think it would be good to see them opening the unit up so that people can store their own kits like a sample replayer.
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

Good find RickJP909!

So reading the blog, the only non-jibberishy sentence in that Roland blog is the first paragraph or so where it basically says they are the same sounds, using ACB. Answer solved! Huzar!

Btw "Snappy" is the "tone" knob you are seeking on the snare. :)

But that blog is clearly written by a Roland employee who just wants to try and spout off a history lesson without any thought or structure to what they are saying and what it implies. They start talking about the original TR-909 and claim the knobs and buttons were too close.... so they made it smaller and worse on the TR-09... lol!
Then they claim they copied the original TR machines by making sub menus via multiple button presses for the boutique series, but this is also on the TR-8, so not sure what they are achieving in mentioning that as if it were a boutique unique aspect.
By the way, the TR-8 has 16 patterns (with A+B) and 16 kit slots. Not sure what the statement about it having 707, 808 + 14 other slots comes from... sounds like the guy has never used a TR-8 lol! The kit slots are made of collections of sounds, so you can use the bass drum of the 707, the snare of an 808, the 2nd hand clap sound from a 727 (which isn't a clap, thank god as I hate hand clap sounds). The idea is you make 16 different kits made of assemblies of the 5 sets of sounds, but in reality I use maybe 4 different kits I've pre-made. An issue with the TR-8 though is that all knobs are live, so you dial in the sweet spot on 1 kit, but when you change to another it uses the knob values that are currently present, rather than a saved value (there is no save on the TR-8, it remembers everything as it goes) - this contradicts the author saying the TR-8 is a live instrument - actually it's a bit awkward due to the knobs being live - other saved kits are useless on the fly if you have to tweak it live to the sweat spots - changing to another kit can often be a bit horrible live!

I feel much better now, and no desire whatsoever to invest in a TR-09 or TR-08 when I can make a kit on the TR-8 that uses sounds from 5 different modules! :D

Re: the CR module desire, I think you have to do what I did and just buy the additional modules you want to compliment the TR-8 - I bought myself a TR-626 as they are reasonably cheap, and being the last TR it includes the sounds of the 707 and 727, but more importantly the 626 has 30 sounds usable in 1 beat, including a ride bell sound that no other drum module in Roland catalogue has! Also has loads of outputs, and can be hacked very easily to make mods. I'm adding volume sliders and mute buttons to my 626 to make it a 707/727/626 supreme :) Sure it's digital rather than analogue, but all the cymbal sounds on a 707 were digital too, and having 3 snares, 2 bass drums, and 6 toms in 1 beat is way better to me than having an "analogue sound" (which I can achieve with my Techstar Tama TS306 and TAM500 - true analogue machines of the old age!). If there was a real boutique to be made, it should have been the 626+808 in 1 box - would cover everything really.
enotide

Post by enotide »

I believe with the TR-08 you can utilize all of the 808 sounds in one pattern, ie Toms and Congas, Rim and Claves, Claps and Maracas.
Which you'll need to track or have 2 to do on the TR-8. Unless some one knows a trick to make this happen.
And the tr-09 programs pretty much like the 909, so for nostalgia they're both really cool. Now we just need them to do the MC-202, and Tr-606 boutiques :)
Happy

Post by Happy »

It's not about the kits that are empty. With the addition of the 606, the empty slots for sounds in the TR-8 are not that many (chart not updated) but hope Roland will put some CR-78s sounds in there.

Another option for Roland would be to release different firmware or an reboot or hotkey option to switch between sound banks. Perhaps a whole 626 replacement.

Lot's would be possible but a pity the TR8 is not used to it's fullest. That it does not have Sysex to load/save patches/ setting/ banks etc.. but only via a reboot to access the internal storage is IMHO a big design mistake).

Back to the topic: I would take the TR-8 over the boutiques even Roland claims the boutiques have "improved" sound which is closer to the 808. (and yeah why they don't update the TR-8 firmware if it's much better). The TR-8 is more a swiss-army knife and the boutiques for those who prefer looks.

LINK: https://www.rolandcorp.com.au/blog/ulti ... -aira-tr-8
Attachments
TR-8 sounds
TR-8 sounds
tr-8.jpg (86.51 KiB) Viewed 5959 times
marctronixx

Tr-08 stands on its own

Post by marctronixx »

The tr-08 has better ACB and its designed to closely resemble the actual 808 and sound better.

People are mostly getting the tr-08 because it closely matches the original.

I had the tr-8 on launch and it was doing too much. I JUST want a TR-08 like I JUST want a tr-09. I want the classic design, the limited functionality that comes with working with a vintage piece of equipment.
Bodde

Re: Tr-08 stands on its own

Post by Bodde »

marctronixx wrote:The tr-08 has better ACB and its designed to closely resemble the actual 808 and sound better.
Where do you base that on? I highly doubt that the TR-08 sounds better than the TR-8. It is the same technology. Better ABC sounds to me more like a Roland advertisement trick than actual fact.
marctronixx

I got my sources yo

Post by marctronixx »

I base it on info from a roland product reviewer who actually works for Roland.

But not even that, it makes sense. ACB is software right? So why is it not conceivable that software can be modeled better?

You can "highly doubt" all you want and i will respect your opinion.

Better ABC... :-) silly typos...
Bodde

Re: I got my sources yo

Post by Bodde »

marctronixx wrote:I base it on info from a roland product reviewer who actually works for Roland.
Yes of course someone who works for Roland says it is better......marketing wise the new product is always better. It would be strange if he said the old product is better. I guess we will know when the comparison videos show up or when we have tried both ourselves.
marctronixx

Got it.

Post by marctronixx »

Much crisper sounds hats, clap, kick.. it sounds better over the tr-8 I had (I had a launch day one).

had it a bit over a day now.

Guitar Center. they have a 15% off coupon too!
Attachments
808080808.jpg
808080808.jpg (69.98 KiB) Viewed 5834 times