SH-01a and trigger in (also SE-02)

Forum for boutique synths
Myrk-

SH-01a and trigger in (also SE-02)

Post by Myrk- »

Hey, just ordered myself a SH-01a to try out the trig in function from my TR-626... hoping it's just like the original 101 with arp and seq progression from programmed rim clicks!

I only saw about it recently on a Juno 60 - apparently it's how acid house was jammed live with TR-808 and the SH-101 in the 90's - recording some straight notes on the 101 then using the 808 rim click in beats to trigger the progression of the sequencer, that way the rhythm of the sequenced notes is based from the drum beat - seems like a really cool function, and a great way to jam live and fiddle with a sequence of notes!

Curious, does anyone else do this on any other synths or gear? I saw the SE-02 can do it as well, but doesn't have an arpeggiator unfortunately.
papasan

Re: SH-01a and trigger in (also SE-02)

Post by papasan »

Back before MIDI that's how you automated everything. Most drum machines had an ext trigger signal so you could drive sequencers and appegiators. Or you used a rim shot or some other click to drive the system. It worked very well.
Myrk-

Re: SH-01a and trigger in (also SE-02)

Post by Myrk- »

Yer it seems like a great way to sequence/trigger gear! I'm really looking forward to doing some trigger clocking from the 626! I also heard a rumour that the high tom or the rim click on the TR-8 can also trigger these devices too, which you can assign to one of the separate outputs very easily - will give it a go when I get the SH-01a and let people know the results! :D