Can the JP08, JX03 and JU06 'change personality'?

Forum for boutique synths
iixorb

Can the JP08, JX03 and JU06 'change personality'?

Post by iixorb »

Given that apparently they all share the same motherboard ( can't recall where I heard this though), is it possible to Flash, say, a JX03 with the JP08 firmware and it'll think it's a JP08, albeit with the controls not working?

PLEASE DON'T TRY IT!!!!

But just wondering if anyone has? .... Would be useful as a slave unit, increasing polyphony of the first real JP08 ( or whatever combination).

Almost certainly Roland will have prevented this, but an interesting topic which I don't think has been discussed here.....
Myrk-

Re: Can the JP08, JX03 and JU06 'change personality'?

Post by Myrk- »

If you open up a boutique mk1 then yes, the main board is all the same, however the firmware we flash is just a part of the total firmware - flashing a JU with JP will probably either not work, or just brick your device, as there will be hard code in the main board put there from the factory that would be telling the module to check the firmware before it can be run. By all means try it, but I can't see anything good coming out of it... if it did work then the net issue would be that the CC commands sent from the top control plate of all 3 are slightly different so you'd just end out with a module that can't be controlled properly, rather than some awesome hybrid module theory you may have fantasized about in your head :D