Learning to program the TR-08

Forum for boutique synths
Pherol

Learning to program the TR-08

Post by Pherol »

Up until now all the drum programming I've done has been on a piano roll or in plugins. I got the TR-08 because it seemed like a great way to learn and use a more "classic" method to make a beat.

The giant foldout instruction sheet I guess works fine for someone already familiar with the 808, but I am having trouble getting going. Not able to find answers to things like how does pre-scale work? I assumed it was to make syncopated patterns by using a different pre-scale on each instrument, but it only seems to only apply to all instruments at the same time.

There's more I'm puzzling over too, wondering if anyone could recommend where to get a fuller explanation. If I go thru a tutorial for the 808 what will be different on the 08?
iixorb

Re: Learning to program the TR-08

Post by iixorb »

Hi there,

I don't think many people have actually received their '08s yet... In the UK we still have to wait another month.
Have you tried looking at YouTube videos which describe '808 programming? Fundamentally I believe this should be the same, and might help ? ( that said, I'm not sure that you can apply different timings / scales to individual instruments ).
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

Isn't the 808 style programming based off the giant dial? You dial in the tone, then sequence on the pads... very simple. Honestly I think you should just play with the device for an hour or 2 and you'll uncover every feature there is... drum machines are pretty simple things (apart from the 505 and 626 lol!)
Pherol

Post by Pherol »

I understand the basics, maybe I am overthinking it. But there are things like the pre-scale that I don't think I am using to full benefit.

I found a really nice 808 tutorial and java web app - http://io808.com/.

I must have shopped for it at the exact right moment, I didn't pre-order, just went to the guitar center website and it was in stock.
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

That sounds like a new TR-08 function rather than an original feature. The original didn't have all the fancy bells and whistles the 08 has. Best check the manual, and just keep fiddling till you understand, or see if anyone has done a YouTube how to video yet.
marctronixx

its just like a 808

Post by marctronixx »

ive had the tr-08 for weeks now. its just like the 808.

pre scale is only what scale you want to record in. 16th notes, triplets, etc. its just like on the tr-09. just think of it as what scale you want your beat quantizing to be in.

yes you use the biog rotary knob to select the sound you want. then the entire 16 steps will only add that sound. you can also use the TAP button to "tap" the sounds in real time instead of step.

each pattern has an a side and b side. two of those make one beat. you set the switch to one side at a time to build up the beat then switch and do the other.

i can go on and on, but if you want more tips DM me.
Pherol

Post by Pherol »

Thanks for the info. I think I have a .pdf addiction problem, I can't tie my shoes without consulting the manual first