MIDI start/stop

Forum for boutique synths
Archem

MIDI start/stop

Post by Archem »

I've got the SH-01a via Aira link into a MX-1

I want it to receive MIDI through from my sequencer but not to respond to start/stop messages that are echoed by the MX-1 upon starting the MX-1

It seems Aira (TR-8 does this too) sends universal start/start messages in an omni fashion to anything connected to it via MIDI

I'm no MIDI expert so my terms my be wrong but has anyone experienced this and is there any way of preventing it?
Myrk-

Re: MIDI start/stop

Post by Myrk- »

I have all 3 devices you mentioned, and just checking the manual I don't think you can turn it off, but you can often turn off the function on the receiving device (a keyboard etc). In the case of the boutiques I personally found it best to make pattern 1-1 (or the default boot up pattern) to be completely blank so it doesn't trigger any sounds. I can then turn on a different pattern later if I really want to, and it will be in time assuming 4/4 play. In my larger setup I have a midi patch bay that can limit start/stop message sends which helps limit what does get triggered off in these cases.
Archem

Post by Archem »

Myrk- wrote: I personally found it best to make pattern 1-1 (or the default boot up pattern) to be completely blank so it doesn't trigger any sounds.
Sounds like what some other people are doing. How do you save a blank pattern?

Since you have experience this gear, how do you like Aira link? I really dig the USB audio but I've not been successful in using them to pass MIDI through. My MIDI keyboard connected to the MX-1 MIDI in will not pass through to the SH-01a connected via Aria link it seems. I thought they were supposed to transmit MIDI?
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

Just turn off the light up pads on the 1st pattern preset! Then save the patch, done!

Aira link is just for Audio and clock, not midi messages. It's quite normal for Roland to not mention the shortcomings of their products - if they don't rave about a feature in a manual then it means it can't do it! Took me a while before I noticed this deficiency - you will still need midi cables everywhere!
Archem

Post by Archem »

Myrk- wrote:Just turn off the light up pads on the 1st pattern preset!
HA! I meant the sh-01a! I ended up saving pattern 1-1 as a single rest and it seems to work fine.
Seems like there should be a sequencer off setting for a synth though.
Andrie

Post by Andrie »

This is (in general) the annoying thing a bout a lot of the cheaper range, focussed on the everyday producer kind of equipment: they forgot to implement, handy/necessary features: i have a midi splitter, with a built in clock thru, start/stop:disable-enable function.