SE-02 wobbly rotary switches

Forum for boutique synths
epadin

SE-02 wobbly rotary switches

Post by epadin »

I´ve got my SE-02 today and I'm as excited as disapointed...
The synth sounds so great but the rotary switches (and only those, not pots) are very woobly and very hard to turn, some more than others.

Comparing with my JX-03 rotary switches I find they are much more better, more robust, with almost no play and with the same feel as the rest of controls.

Are any of you experiencing this issue? I thought at least the same construction quality than the rest of boutiques but not this one.
marctronixx

normal

Post by marctronixx »

yes lots of discussion about this on other forums. ive had the se02 sinc US launch and the knobs you speak of are exactly how you state.

the synt works fine and ive had no issues with them. they will loosen up if you use them.
epadin

Re: SE-02 wobbly rotary switches

Post by epadin »

Ok, thanks for the reply.

Searching in other forums I found people saying that their units were fine and others telling about the wobbly rotary swithches. This is a Gearslutz qoute:

"OK - so having had a chance to play more than one sample at KnobCon, there does seem to be a batch of Roland SE-02s out there with woefully wobbly rotary selector switch + knob combinations (the pots, on the other hand, are perfectly fine and tight), and a batch out there that doesn't have that problem.”

Any of you can confirm that? Any unit out there with properly rotary switches?

I would like to find out if all units have the same problem or was just a bad batch of them. I have several boutiques and they all have very nice controls, faders, pots, etc, so with this one I just can´t understand why are this way... In my case the VCO1 octave selector have so much play and is so hard to turn that feels like is going to be stripped off the panel. That combined with the size of knobs and you have a no pleasure time tweaking VCO parameters.
marctronixx

Post by marctronixx »

why dont you reach out to studio electronics directly and ask them what they think about this?

bad batch? who knows. but i can tell you like I just said, that ive had one since US launch and although the knobs are slightly wobbly (not to the point where they feel like they will break off), they have not acted up or failed to work.

are you in the US? call around to guitar center and see if they have a store display or if they can open one or have one opened and ask them about the knobs--or just stop by and see in person.

go to instagram (if you have an account) or twitter or facebook and look for se-02 owners and ask. if this matters to you, you should take some time to research. many people who have thee may not even come to this site to post.

waveform, range knobs have the slight wobble (the majority of the other knobs are solid and wobble free) and are the ones that have some resistance when switching between values. they will loosen up. mine have. they are fine. even after months of using it.
jerry_merry

Post by jerry_merry »

My experience of all the boutiques especially where connections and controls are concerned is simply cheap and toy like. Connections that are not deigned to be constantly plugged and unplugged so no good for on the road. Too small for serious studio use....However I thought the SE-02 might have been of better quality - this is not good news.