D-05 Sequencer Auto Plays with DAW

Forum for boutique synths
searlstudio

D-05 Sequencer Auto Plays with DAW

Post by searlstudio »

Greetings. I have the D-05 connected to Ableton Live via the USB MIDI. Whenever I hit PLAY in Ableton, the D-05 built in Sequencer automatically plays. I can't figure out how to stop the built in D-05 sequencer to stop playing automatically.

For reference I have a JX-03 and SE-02 and connected and neither of them autoplay their arp/sequencers when I hit play in Ableton.

Thanks.
tomatoKetchup

Re: D-05 Sequencer Auto Plays with DAW

Post by tomatoKetchup »

Surprised your JX-03 doesn't reacts, because both the JU-06 and JP-08 have the same issue. On the SE-02, it depends what the settings of the currently selected pattern are (if set to external (midi/usb) clock, it will start playing too).

There's 2 workarounds for this.

1- Save an empty pattern in slot 1 of your D-05 sequencer. That way, the sequencer will still start, but it won't play anything.

2- Filter out the MIDI Start/Stop messages using a software like MIDIOX. This solution is a bit awkward to setup in the 1st place but when you get your head around you only have to set it once.
searlstudio

Re: D-05 Sequencer Auto Plays with DAW

Post by searlstudio »

tomatoKetchup wrote:Surprised your JX-03 doesn't reacts, because both the JU-06 and JP-08 have the same issue. On the SE-02, it depends what the settings of the currently selected pattern are (if set to external (midi/usb) clock, it will start playing too).

There's 2 workarounds for this.

1- Save an empty pattern in slot 1 of your D-05 sequencer. That way, the sequencer will still start, but it won't play anything.

2- Filter out the MIDI Start/Stop messages using a software like MIDIOX. This solution is a bit awkward to setup in the 1st place but when you get your head around you only have to set it once.
Thanks for the recommendation. Initially I simply deselected the MIDI out sync in Ableton Live which stops it from playing, but also doesn't allow me to sync the sequencer which is the whole point.

I do have everything going through iConnect MIDI 4+ and I hadn't thought to use the Start/Stop filter so I will try that as well... although eventually I will want that functionality. So ultimately your option 1 of an empty 1st pattern may be the winner. Thanks again.