Got my TR-08

Forum for boutique synths
iixorb

Got my TR-08

Post by iixorb »

Just a quick post at the moment.

Got my TR08 today and it's fantastic ! Easily my favourite out of all my Boutiques (JX03, JP08, JU06, TB03 and TR09).

Absolutely no need to worry about those A/B comparison videos where some of the 08 sounds appear to be a different pitch when compared to an 808; they are all tunable so can be tweaked to match.

Great job Roland !
marctronixx

ok

Post by marctronixx »

bit late to the party but you get an honorable mention for getting the tr-08.. :p
iixorb

Re: ok

Post by iixorb »

marctronixx wrote:bit late to the party but you get an honorable mention for getting the tr-08.. :p

They've only just arrived in UK retailers this week; same with the D-05 too ;-)
cloudburst

Re: Got my TR-08

Post by cloudburst »

Yep, I got my TR-08 yesterday too.

Have had absolutely zero time to play with it. All i've done so far is to perform the latest firmware update and install the USB driver.

CB

marctronixx

ahhhhh you're across the pond!

Post by marctronixx »

i see said the blind man.. :)

ive had the tr-08 a little over a month and the D-05 going on 3 weeks. they , along with the se-02 and tr-09, are the cats pajamas!

aye CB! thats criminal mate! turn that beauty on and listen to the fire!!!!!!!!!!!! :p
cloudburst

Post by cloudburst »

I spent a couple of hours last night getting to grips with how everything works on the TR-08.

It can seem complex at first and the manual isn’t great. The TR-808 manual explains it all though.

CB
dspange

Post by dspange »

Cool man, Im hoping to pick one up today at my local music store.

I Had the TR-09 and finally picked up the original TR-909 a few months ago and I can differently say I here a difference in the low end analog sounds. Especially the TR-909 Kick and snare.

I just wish they made the TR-08 a little bigger - maybe 10" x 12" would have been ideal and feel more like the real TR-808.

But congrats man! Enjoy it
Darkside

Post by Darkside »

I have mine on order and waiting for it to arrive. As it's obviously not the first synthesizer/drum machine I'm buying, there shouldn't be any real problems when exploring it, but there's one serious one.
It's all about those modern folded manuals and the way they are digitized. As I'm blind and use screen reading software, so this kind of formatting doesn't go really well. Due to this way of representing the pages, everything gets kind of scrambled and mixed up, when reading those documents. Probably some sighted persone would agree to edit them and thus make more readable, but knowing all the fuss, I almost don't want to beg anybody to do it. At the same time in current form these manuals are almost of no use to screen reader users.
In this regard some instructional youtube videos offer enough guidance, but obviously when buttons are called by names and not just: "Now press here, or this one."
All this royal mess is the reason for example preventing me from understanding the track mode on the Tb-03, which is overall not difficult machine to learn at all and yes, I'm not a beginner and have a mindset of a geek, so memorizing menus is a pleasure and not a nasty chore.
I obviously don't want to be seen as simply complaining, but instead try to accentuate some real life stuff, that is often missed or simply ignored.
Thanx for reading and let's not forget, that at this very moment I am really waiting for my Tr-08 to make some better electrofunk and acid.
To end this rant still on a positive note, take a listen to my tracks at
http://soundcloud.com/dRxId
Darkside

Post by Darkside »

Hi. Now I really got mine and it's a box of funk!
I have to apologize for being somewhat bitter in my previous post right here. Fortunately I found a solution regarding manuals, so they aren't stopping me any more from getting everything out of my acid pairing: Tb-03 and now Tr-08.
At the moment the most disturbing thing is probably caused by Roland's wish to be authenticly true to the original and not let using claps and maracas in the same pattern. It's possible to play every instrument via midi, but as far as I know, at the moment there's no midi recording on the unit. Otherwise I totally and deeply injoy my experience with this modern revision of the timeless sound and interface.
One of my friends is currently building himself a Yocto analog clone of the thing and we both are excited about comparing them one day, obviously when the machine is finally ready.