USB Powered - Warbling Noise

Forum for boutique synths
DEVO-UK

USB Powered - Warbling Noise

Post by DEVO-UK »

Hi

Hooking my JP-08 up with the USB cable produces a type of alien warbling sound in my mixer. Disconnect the USB (and run on batteries) and all is fine.

Anyone come across this problem?

I need the usb cable to send program patch changes form my Macbook (via Logic) to the JP-08.

Thanks in advance.
cloudburst

Re: USB Powered - Warbling Noise

Post by cloudburst »

DEVO-UK wrote:Hi

Hooking my JP-08 up with the USB cable produces a type of alien warbling sound in my mixer. Disconnect the USB (and run on batteries) and all is fine.

I need the usb cable to send program patch changes form my Macbook (via Logic) to the JP-08.

Thanks in advance.
Common problem. If you need USB connected, then (as long as you’re on a recent firmware version) you can force battery power even when USB connected. To do this each time you boot, hold down the ‘Patch Preset’ button whilst powering on.

CB
DEVO-UK

Post by DEVO-UK »

cloudburst wrote:

Thanks in advance.
Common problem. If you need USB connected, then (as long as you’re on a recent firmware version) you can force battery power even when USB connected. To do this each time you boot, hold down the ‘Patch Preset’ button whilst powering on.

Thanks. I don't think that solves my problem though. I have it on battery power. It's when I plug the usb lead in from the Macbook, which I need for the program changes.
cloudburst

Post by cloudburst »

DEVO-UK wrote:
cloudburst wrote:

Thanks in advance.
Common problem. If you need USB connected, then (as long as you’re on a recent firmware version) you can force battery power even when USB connected. To do this each time you boot, hold down the ‘Patch Preset 1’ button whilst powering on.

Thanks. I don't think that solves my problem though. I have it on battery power. It's when I plug the usb lead in from the Macbook, which I need for the program changes.
I think it IS exactly your problem. When you plug your USB lead in, then the Boutique will automatically swap its power source to USB power from your Macbook. To stop it doing this, you need to reboot the Boutique as I've described to force it into using power from its batteries, even when USB is connected to a power source (your Macbook).

CB
Darkside

Post by Darkside »

Still the problem can be caused simply by having the Boutique connected to the computer. When connecting the unit to the wall with some usb charger all the buzzing and humming should go away. Regarding sending patch changes to the computer, it should be still possible by using some oldschool usb midi interface, but obviously then it's not possible to use midi ports for keyboard playing.
It seems to be quite a common problem nowadays, that different usb powered devices tend to generate unwanted sound while being connected to the computer and not do it on wall power.
DEVO-UK

Post by DEVO-UK »

Darkside wrote:Still the problem can be caused simply by having the Boutique connected to the computer. When connecting the unit to the wall with some usb charger all the buzzing and humming should go away. Regarding sending patch changes to the computer, it should be still possible by using some oldschool usb midi interface, but obviously then it's not possible to use midi ports for keyboard playing.
It seems to be quite a common problem nowadays, that different usb powered devices tend to generate unwanted sound while being connected to the computer and not do it on wall power.
I thought about that (usb to midi) but yes, I have the keyboard into the midi in. I'll try the patch preset option. Do I hold down any particular one of the eight or will any do?
cloudburst

Post by cloudburst »

DEVO-UK wrote:
Darkside wrote:Still the problem can be caused simply by having the Boutique connected to the computer. When connecting the unit to the wall with some usb charger all the buzzing and humming should go away. Regarding sending patch changes to the computer, it should be still possible by using some oldschool usb midi interface, but obviously then it's not possible to use midi ports for keyboard playing.
I thought about that (usb to midi) but yes, I have the keyboard into the midi in. I'll try the patch preset option. Do I hold down any particular one of the eight or will any do?
Apologies - I meant Patch Preset 1 (the ninth button along). Hold it while turning off and on. This WILL solve your problem as long as the unit is NOT still on the original firmware. You can check your firmware version by holding down Patch Number 8 button while powering on - and let us know what lights you see. Feel free to PM me and I’ll help you out.

CB
DEVO-UK

Post by DEVO-UK »

cloudburst wrote:
DEVO-UK wrote:
Apologies - I meant Patch Preset 1 (the ninth button along). Hold it while turning off and on. This WILL solve your problem as long as the unit is NOT still on the original firmware. You can check your firmware version by holding down Patch Number 8 button while powering on - and let us know what lights you see. Feel free to PM me and I’ll help you out.

CB
CB Sir. You are a genius. This helped me out enormously. Thank you so much.
cloudburst

Post by cloudburst »

No worries. Glad you're sorted.

CB
Darkside

Post by Darkside »

Not directly usb related, but regarding unwanted background, chaining boutiques can become a really noisy activity. While not that much of a problem for simply jamming, it can be a royal pain for recording. So when devices are separately connected to say a mixer, everything is perfectly fine, but connect one into another and it starts to sound like really some old or cheep piece of electronics. Rather unfortunately it's especially bad on the new Tr-08. Yet again, it's not only Roland's thing. For example Yamaha ReFace series have those 3.5 mm jack line inputs and they are noisy as ever.
mimoid

Post by mimoid »

My solution was to drive the Boutiques from iPhone chargers connected to the mains, use Regular 5-pin MIDI cables to control the Boutiques and use the analog outputs into the DAW. That was the only way to get a reasonably clean audio. Also I added a noise gate on every track to silence the Boutiques when they were not playing.
dexfx69

Post by dexfx69 »

Yes, this is the standard weird noise from a Boutique when you have it connected to a PC via USB. Considering Roland forced you to use power from USB, this is another mistake on their part. Thank God they got most of everything else right.

I use a USB phone charger to power mine - solves the problem.
tomatoKetchup

Post by tomatoKetchup »

Another way to solve the issue while still powering by usb is to place a hum remover between your boutique synth and your mixer.

One like this did the job perfectly for me:

https://www.gear4music.ie/Recording-and ... troyer/6RR
afewster

Post by afewster »

mimoid wrote:
My solution was to drive the Boutiques from iPhone chargers connected to the mains, use Regular 5-pin MIDI cables to control the Boutiques and use the analog outputs into the DAW. That was the only way to get a reasonably clean audio. Also I added a noise gate on every track to silence the Boutiques when they were not playing.
Excellent! - for some reason I didn't even think of using a usb charger! Been driving me crazy to the point where the boutiques were essentially unusable due to background noise even when not using usb audio. Many thanks.