Best way to record into daw?

Forum for boutique synths
vst_twc

Best way to record into daw?

Post by vst_twc »

I have a really newbie quesiton here. It's sort of cubase specific, so I might be posting in the wrong place but I thought I'd try to get a response here anyways.

So I've been working with my JX-03 in cubase 6 so far. The way that I've been doing it is to connect the JX-03 to the computer via usb and then set the JX-03 as my audio interface. I've got some midi controllers as well that I use to send midi info to the boutique.

Then I create two tracks, an audio track and a midi track. The midi track just records the midi data that I'm sending to the boutique, including any cc data I'm sendig. The audio track records the audio data coming out of boutique, and this is where I'm doing all my eq/effects/etc. When I bounce down the track, I'm muting the midi track and just using the audio that was recorded.

This seems to be the best/only way to do it and I just wanted to make sure this is what everybody else was doing? If there's a better way to record a boutique into a cubase and not use two different tracks (one for midi, one for audio) then I'd love to hear it!
sompost

Re: Best way to record into daw?

Post by sompost »

Yes, this is how it's done (at least how I do it).

Sometimes, I record a multi-channel MIDI track using my keyboard, then split the track into separate tracks (each containing notes of a single MIDI channel), and then "render" each track one after the other with an appropriate voice (using a JU-06 as sound generator) as audio back into Cubase. It's a bit tedious, but unless you have several boutiques/synths, this is how you multitrack.