FA owner: Is it worth buying a D-05 ?

Forum for boutique synths

FA owner: Is it worth buying a D-05 ?

Postby SynthRolie » 14:59, 8 February 2018

Hello,

I love the D-50 sounds and have loaded them from the AXIAL Integra site into my FA-08 and this works great. But I was wondering if I gain any advantages in buying the new D-05 boutique synth, besides the frontpanel controls.

Does the Integra chip process the D-50 sounds the same as the D-05 chip does ?
Will there be any sound quality differences ?

I hope somebody can give me any advice before emptying my wallet :P

Thanks ;)
SynthRolie

Re: FA owner: Is it worth buying a D-05 ?

Postby humax » 14:49, 9 February 2018

It all depends on how big your love is. With that Integra Axial library you'll be very limited cause it's just an attempt to mimic to some extent some original sounds of D-50 with use of SuperNatural engine which is not the same as D-50. For instance you won't be able to get Staccato Heaven sounding as nice as an original one with use of Supernatural since it lacks "Bells" waveform component at least. I believe it was made deliberately by Roland in order to push people for buying more their products if concerned that much.
Otherwise Roland cloud D-50 is a way to go. If you're a hardware guy you could do what I did: I nicely sampled D-50 patches from the Roland cloud to my AKAI Z8 and it work fantastic. You can even sample just every single partial of D-50 then create your own complex multi layer patches inside the sampler.
humax

Postby SynthRolie » 13:03, 14 February 2018

Hello Humax,
I really do love the sounds, so I'm thinking towards buying one.

The sampling is a good idea, I did multi-sampling all the time with my FantomX7 (sold to buy the FA) and VST sounds for live performance. The only thing is, as the FA is awesome and stands out in sound quality, this is the one feature I really miss on the FA.

I really hope (and not only me, as I read in the FA forum :P) Roland will implement multi-sampling on the FA in the future *hint to Roland ;)*

Thanks for your reply! :)
SynthRolie

Postby SynthRolie » 17:11, 14 February 2018

I ordered one...

I found that Roland Cloud has a trial period and I tried the D-50 VST
Assuming the hardware version D-05 is pretty much the same, it is totally worth the money!
And indeed better sounding than the Integra emulations, which are still good though :)

I think the FA and D-05 will be my 'amazing duo' for a while :D
SynthRolie

Return to Boutique Synths