SH01A What a little box of fun!!

Forum for boutique synths
Mark76

SH01A What a little box of fun!!

Post by Mark76 »

Just got my (red) SH01A.

Wow! My favourite boutique by far! Instant fun and it's hardcore blips take me right back to 1992!

Anyone else managed to get a Korg M1 'Organ 16' sound from it!?!

Just can't wait to pair it up with my JU, what a team!!
jicamasalad

Re: SH01A What a little box of fun!!

Post by jicamasalad »

It is a great little synth, isn't it? Like you, I've had instant fun with mine (Blue!).

Does it sing well with your JU?
(I sort of wish I'd landed one of those, but I missed the boat, and they are now out of my pricerange.)

I have not tried to emulate other keyboard sounds on the SH-01A, but have been really happy with the hollow, floaty pads and leads I've programmed on it so far; a great addition to the arsenal. Now, back to making music!

kS
Mark76

Re: SH01A What a little box of fun!!

Post by Mark76 »

jicamasalad wrote:It is a great little synth, isn't it? Like you, I've had instant fun with mine (Blue!).

Does it sing well with your JU?
(I sort of wish I'd landed one of those, but I missed the boat, and they are now out of my pricerange.)

I have not tried to emulate other keyboard sounds on the SH-01A, but have been really happy with the hollow, floaty pads and leads I've programmed on it so far; a great addition to the arsenal. Now, back to making music!

kS
it's ace. I tend to use the JU for deep bass (that's why I bought it) and the SH01 for the chord function which adds nice harmony. The M1 type organ was a happy accident but fun!

Overall I think it kind of sits between the JU and JX perhaps closer to the JU slightly. it's very simple but that's what I like about it. The 100 step sequencer really highlights the weaknesses of the earlier Boutique's sequencer. Sometimes I don't want to create repetitive single bar harmonies, so I tend to get around this by setting the JU sequencer as 'random' and keying all the notes in one key. That way I get a groove that is more varied but still works.

Still need to play with the LFO on the SH01 but the chord and Arpeggiator features are great. I tempted by another but that would be excessive!!!

The biggest gripe of this set up is the damn single bus power on the MX1. Grrrr! Comon Roland you really dropped the ball on this with the MX1. But I'm not sure it could be sorted with a simple upgrade...