Alternative keyboard for boutique (Sh-01A)..?

Forum for boutique synths
Crumb

Alternative keyboard for boutique (Sh-01A)..?

Post by Crumb »

Hello All,

When I bought my Sh-01A I didn't get the keyboard docking thing because it was quite expensive and I didn't think I would need it. At home I just have it connected via midi to my Roland Gaia. I'm now reconsidering that decision though because I travel quite a lot and it would be nice to take the SH-01A with me.

In the meantime though, I already have an MPK Mini Mk2 keyboard. For those that don't know, it's powered by USB. I'm wondering if I got a powered USB hub and connected the MPK mini and the SH-01A to the hub, would they connect and work...?

Dose anyone have an opinion on this? Or can anyone recommend a nice mini keyboard cheaper than the Roland Km-25?

And, can anyone who actually has a Km-25 keyboard dock, will it run on the battery power from the boutique module?

Thanks!
cloudburst

Re: Alternative keyboard for boutique (Sh-01A)..?

Post by cloudburst »

Crumb wrote: And, can anyone who actually has a Km-25 keyboard dock, will it run on the battery power from the boutique module?
Yep - there are no extra/different power reqts when using the K-25m.

CB
Mark76

Post by Mark76 »

I'm in a similar situation.

I got 3 boutiques and I currently use an A49 controller via MIDI. This is fine, but it does mean that it uses up the MIDI port which might be better put to use syncing all the boutiques together. It also requires USB power which is a pain when I'm not using a DAW. As well as this, I do have to use the controller to enter the notes and then unplug a reconnect to the other boutique to enter notes again. My workflow is a whole lot easier through the DAW but I prefer it without. The A49 is a good controller but I think most controllers would have the same limitations.

My suggestion would be to get the K25m, I (think) the boutique powers it, meaning you don't have all the hassle of connecting MIDI etc it's all self contained.

I'm desperate to get my hands on one, but alas, there are none available in the UK at the moment the next shipment won;t be here for weeks!!
Crumb

Post by Crumb »

Thanks both.... I think I'll just cough up the cash for the Km-25. I think the portability alone will be worth it in the long run...
elastic

Post by elastic »

I got the Alesis Q25 - made my own little stand for the 101 to sit on top of it, works perfectly. Looks great too. The keys are full size, velocity sensitive, well happy.