I have a couple of questions regarding MIDI on the TR-09?

Forum for boutique synths
snerkler

I have a couple of questions regarding MIDI on the TR-09?

Post by snerkler »

I'll start by saying I'm a newbie to the hardware, as well as music production and using Logic Pro X so please be gentle ;)

Is it possible to control the TR-09 using MIDI input from Logic? What I mean is, if I have a MIDI pattern on Logic can this be used to play/trigger the TR-09 and hear it back through Logic? If so how do I do this, and also how do I do this without the TR-09 playing the pattern that's on the actual machine?

Also, what are the channels 1-16? I assume they're MIDI channels but is there one that I should use that will send/receive all the information, or is each instrument (ie kick, snare etc) on it's own channel? At the moment I have the channels set to off as the MIDI input seems to trigger other software instruments in Logic too, but for recording purposes I'll obviously turn the channel(s) on and record this MIDI separately. I've had a look at the MIDI implementation chart in the manual but it may as well be in a foreign language tbh.

I have found so info on how to read/understand MIDI charts and I will get around to reading it at some point, but in the meantime any help would be appreciated.
gcmail86

Re: I have a couple of questions regarding MIDI on the TR-09

Post by gcmail86 »

To your first question, yes, you can trigger sounds on your TR-09 from your DAW using either via midi over USB or a midi cable from your audio interface to the TR-09.

As for the midi channels, go to the Roland site's support area, locate your device and download the midi implementation chart. It has all the midi information you need. I see you figured that out already. That chart is super simple...

If your TR-09 is triggering notes in your DAW it's most likely because you have other midi channels set you "all ins". You need to have a specific midi input for each midi track you have turned on otherwise every midi note you play will trigger every midi track in your DAW that doesn't have a specific midi input channel assigned to it.

At the end of the day, your questions lead me to believe you'd rather not bother to read the manuals or actually try to understand them. If you spend some time, they're pretty easy.