TR-08 and Pro Tools Setup

Forum for boutique synths
SimoSW

TR-08 and Pro Tools Setup

Post by SimoSW »

Dear all,

This is my first post, and I hope you would be able to help me.

I’m trying to set up my Roland Boutique TR-08 with my Pro Tools HD Native system.

I was wondering how I can monitor the TR-08 audio output in Pro Tools? In order to record the audio from the TR-08 into PT via USB I need to switch the Playback Engine from HD Native to TR-08 but that way I can’t monitor it…. To listen back to what I just recorded I need to revert the playback engine back to HD Native, but this process is not ideal at all, as obviously I’d like to hear the audio from the TR-08 in context with the rest of the Pro Tools session.

Is there a way to do it? I looked online for days but couldn’t find anything at all on how to set this up.

It would be great if you could help me on this issue, as at the moment I’m not able to use my TR-08 in the way I intended when I bought it.

Many thanks in anticipation for your help!

Best Regards
Simone
Stormchild

Re: TR-08 and Pro Tools Setup

Post by Stormchild »

Are you using a Mac? If so, you can create an aggregate audio device that groups your main audio interface and the TR-08. In the Audio MIDI Setup app (which comes with the system), click the + button at the bottom of the sidebar in the Audio Devices window, "Create Aggregate Device", then enable your main interface and the TR-08 (in that order). Now you can go to Pro Tools and choose "Aggregate Device" as your audio interface. The TR-08 inputs will appear at the end of the list. It has 12 inputs — the stereo mix, plus 10 mono input for the individual sounds (the OH and CH share the same input). Let me know if you run into any problems. I have an Apogee Quartet, System-8, and five boutiques in my aggregate device and it works great.

There should be a way to do this in Windows too, but I don't know the details.
SimoSW

Post by SimoSW »

Thank you very much for your reply Stormchild, much appreciated !

I’m on a PC, and according to this article from Sweetcare:

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/ar ... c-and-mac/

the utility that can create aggregates is ASIO4ALL. I did try it but didn’t have any luck in making the system working.
If I try to follow the steps illustrated in that article, the ASIO4ALL Offline Settings page won’t even show my Avid HD audio interface at all on the Device List, so I'm not quite sure how I'm supposed to group/aggregate it together with the TR-08 so than Pro Tools can see them both.
If I select the TR-08 on ASIO4ALL Device List, then launch Pro Tools and select ASIO4ALL as the Playback Engine I only have a stereo pair as input and output - which is useless.
If I select TR-08 as the playback engine then I do have all the inputs BUT not the outputs to monitor them.
All I really would like to have is being able to at least map the TR-08 output to a pair of outputs of my Avid HD interface.
This issue is really frustrating…I’ve been searching online for nearly a month and can’t find absolutely nothing at all on this subject - even the Roland Support team won’t answer my query.
I mean the TR-08 is a great machine but I really don’t understand why Roland designed its integration with common DAWs so awkwardly !?

Thanks again for your help
romsi

Post by romsi »

Stormchild wrote: 23:57, 14 November 2019 Are you using a Mac? If so, you can create an aggregate audio device that groups your main audio interface and the TR-08. In the Audio MIDI Setup app (which comes with the system), click the + button at the bottom of the sidebar in the Audio Devices window, "Create Aggregate Device", then enable your main interface and the TR-08 (in that order). Now you can go to Pro Tools and choose "Aggregate Device" as your audio interface. The TR-08 inputs will appear at the end of the list. It has 12 inputs — the stereo mix, plus 10 mono input for the individual sounds (the OH and CH share the same input). Let me know if you run into any problems. I have an Apogee Quartet, System-8, and five boutiques in my aggregate device and it works great.

There should be a way to do this in Windows too, but I don't know the details.
Hi Stormchild,
I am in the same situation, MAC, I have an created an Aggregate Device with 1st my soundcard and 2d the TR-08. Therefore in PT10 (Setup -> Hardware), I dont find the agregate listed, only my soundcard, any idea?
Also, how do you then see the TR-08 in PT as an insert?
Many thanks, R